Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Please can anyone help me, regarding discrimination and pregnancy.

(3 Posts)
LoopyLoopsOfSparklyFairyLights Tue 07-Dec-10 12:22:42

I was offered a part time fixed term teaching position at my local school, by the HOD who is a friend of mine.

At the time, I was unsure about applying, as the difficult hours (8 hours over 4 days) made organising child care very difficult and costly, so I advised my friend to advertise the position while I looked into child care arrangements. As she is my friend, and I wanted her to be aware of the whole situation, I informed her that I had recently discovered I was pregnant.
I have now managed to arrange suitable child care, so I called her back last week to let her know I would still be applying. She encouraged me to do so, so I spent the time on my application and sent it off.

Today, she called to tell me that she won't be considering my application because of my pregnancy. I queried this, as the contract ends before my due date. She said that it would be unfair on the students of I were to have to leave early as I did in my last pregnancy (DTD1 was stillborn, DTD2 born premature at 32 weeks).

I have spoken to my union, who agree that this is discrimination, and have advised me to email my "friend" and copy he head, complaining of my treatment and asking to be invited to interview.

Is there anyone here who would be willing to look at my email and advise as to whether it is suitable? I have come to terms with the fact that this friendship is probably not salvageable now.

Many thanks in advance.

PermaShattered Tue 07-Dec-10 16:50:54

It's discrimination - plain and simple. If you don't get anywhere, take legal advice as you'd have a good case against the Local Authority concerned.

LoopyLoopsOfSparklyFairyLights Tue 07-Dec-10 18:38:16

Thank you, that's what I thought. They haven't responded to my email yet.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: