Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Gashed head on absurdly low slung road sign. Would like to complaint/get comensated by council. What is proceedure?

(14 Posts)
DukesOfTripHazard Mon 29-Nov-10 11:47:30

Realise I will need to take photos. Head wound (minor but very painful) was glued in casualty.

asmallbunchofflowers Mon 29-Nov-10 20:02:18

Sorry to sound sceptical, but in what way has the accident cost you money? If the council was negligent and you were hurt then you deserve a fulsome apology. But I don't see how taking cash from the council's already depleted coffers and giving it you will change anything for the better.

PonceyMcPonce Mon 29-Nov-10 20:03:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WhyHavePets Mon 29-Nov-10 20:04:54

Compensated for what?

How were they negligent? If it was a road sign then it must have been pretty large. How do you know it was not pulled lower by some idiot? (which happens all the time round here).

asmallbunchofflowers Mon 29-Nov-10 20:05:23

Should have said that the council should have a procedure for complaints on its website. Or you could ask your councillor to press for the road sign to be moved to a more suitable position (assuming the sign belongs to the local authority and not the department of transport).

nigglewiggle Mon 29-Nov-10 20:06:28

I agree with asmallbunch. I think a call to thew council to make them aware should suffice. If they send you a small bunch of flowers <not the Mnetter> grin then that would be a nice touch, but I personally wouldn't be demanding money.

asmallbunchofflowers Mon 29-Nov-10 20:08:34

grin at being sent to a fellow Mner's home as compensation.

BelligerentGhoul Mon 29-Nov-10 20:09:43

Complain by all means but I think expecting money makes you sound a bit bonkers tbh.

whomovedmychocolate Mon 29-Nov-10 20:10:28

When you say absurdly low slung road sign, what exactly do you mean?

Road name signs are generally three feet off the ground, yet if a toddler walks into one and knocks themselves out we do not generally sue.

There is an element of 'well if you are daft enough to walk into a sign perhaps it's Darwinian selection' at play here wink

scurryfunge Mon 29-Nov-10 20:14:31

I would put it down to experience and look where I was going in future.

DukesOfTripHazard Tue 30-Nov-10 16:13:04

It may well have been lowered by an idiot. Or perhaps as a vendetta against 5ft 4 and a half inch people who have a dd on each hand and aren't used to emergency limbo-ing.

I don't really need compensating bar losing most of a working day and a couple of bus fares to the hospital.

I just want them to say sorry and bloody move it so no-one else has to be told by their crying nine year old that there's blood seeping out of their hat all down their cheek.

5GoldenFimbos Tue 30-Nov-10 16:16:01

Our local council are making people redundant left, right and centre. There is no redundancy money so where they are going to get money to compensate you, goodness knows.

It would be prudent to tell them what has happened though.

CarGirl Tue 30-Nov-10 16:18:25

Any payout would be from their insurers, that's why they pay for public liability insurance.

TBH if you've lost a days wages then I would write asking for reimbursment even if it just makes them hurry up and move the thing and not end up with being reimbursed.

5GoldenFimbos Tue 30-Nov-10 16:20:35

Oops blush

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: