Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Websites displaying stock they don't physically have - is it legal?

(8 Posts)
TheLemur Wed 10-Nov-10 17:07:47

If a website states that an item is 'in stock' but it turns out that stock is actually at a nearby manufacturers and is delivered to the website people within 24 hours, is that legal?

I can't find any guidelines about this online so many thanks if you can point me in the right direction

DLIguy Wed 10-Nov-10 17:38:43

Are you talking about Amazon?

TheLemur Wed 10-Nov-10 17:40:47

No, no sorry. I'm talking about a small website I do some work for, they are thinking of doing this.

whomovedmychocolate Wed 10-Nov-10 17:40:58

Yes it's legal - Halfords for example does this a lot with car seats. They are delivered direct from manufacturers. Normally this works with what's called web services where one database will be queried live (the manufacturer) to see if it's in stock and this info relayed back to the website and if it's not there you can't order it.

DLIguy Wed 10-Nov-10 17:55:15

Do Comet and Currys sometimes tell customers that "we have it in the warehouse" but it takes ages for them to deliver the item.

Customers will be dissatisfied if things go wrong and delivery is delayed. IMO you need to put a note on the web site to explain potential delays.

whomovedmychocolate Wed 10-Nov-10 18:16:03

Not always. There is usually a description of delivery terms on the website. Halfords do tell you. Comet/Currys don't tend to. In fact even in their stores they often don't have it 'in stock' and have to order it from the manufacturer which normally takes about one extra day.

DLIguy Wed 10-Nov-10 18:26:56

Personally, I would be reluctant to order something from Comet because I would not believe their delivery promise.

TheLemur Thu 11-Nov-10 11:52:20

Thanks folks!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: