Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Changing the locks

(2 Posts)
doblet Wed 10-Nov-10 11:59:58

My ex changed the locks on our house when we split up (after I had moved out). I didn't mind at th etime because I wanted to give him his privacy. He has now moved out of the house and I would like to buy it. As it is also empty, I would like to move in rather than pay for 2 properties while we try and sort out our finances. Problem is is that he won't give me a key and refuses to answer my questions on the subject. I know that I can legally break in and get access that way (and change the locks), but can anything stop him doing the same once I have moved in?

mumblechum Wed 10-Nov-10 13:56:47

I think you should give him fair warning of your intention to change the locks, and if he ignores that, get them changed but give him a key as well.

As you're joint proprietors, you both have every right to enter the property, so potentially, you could move in and so could he!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now