Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Sold an item as second hand and I think the buyer is trying to scam me.

(20 Posts)
ENormaSnob Thu 04-Nov-10 20:08:11

I have recently sold an item on a second hand website. The buyer paid by cheque and arranged courier. Lots of pictures were sent of this item and the buyer was happy.

4 days after courier collection the buyer rings me to say she is unhappy as she feels it has some marks on it when it was described as really good condition. She now wants a refund. I stand by my description of the item and have pictures taken just before it was sent.

I have a feeling that if I refund then I won't see the item again or it will be damaged and not as I sent it.

What do I do?

Thanks for any replies.

Toughasoldboots Thu 04-Nov-10 20:13:25

You need item back first- I have just had a similar situation and let it go to dispute. EBay found in my favour which I was surprised and pleased about. Having heard lots of horror stories about eBay always siding with the buyer, I have been really impressed. They also removed the unfair neg feedback. If you feel that you have done nothing wrong, stand your ground, I think that eBay are sizing up to the scammers.

Toughasoldboots Thu 04-Nov-10 20:14:56

Wising up- hate auto correct on phone!

prh47bridge Thu 04-Nov-10 20:20:51

The goods must be as described. If you said they were in really good condition then they must be in really good condition. If the buyer takes you to court it will be up to you to prove that any faults were not there when you shipped the goods, so it is good that you have pictures taken just before it was sent. Of course, without knowing the details it is possible that the marks were caused the the courier company mis-handling the goods.

You should certainly insist on return of the item before giving a refund.

ENormaSnob Thu 04-Nov-10 20:25:19

It wasn't sold via eBay.

There are quite a few pics of the item plus the ones I emailed the buyer.

What if she has caused damage but tries to say I did it iyswim.

Who pays for postage?

Thanks again, it's so stressful all this.

LucindaCarlisle Thu 04-Nov-10 20:26:20

Has the cheque cleared yet?

LucindaCarlisle Thu 04-Nov-10 20:26:56

Was it a UK cheque?

LittleMissBliss Thu 04-Nov-10 20:31:25

I would tell the buyer that you have pictures of the item in a good condition before shipping and to take it up with the courier that SHE arranged.

ENormaSnob Thu 04-Nov-10 20:31:34

Yes uk cheque had cleared prior to delivery.

ENormaSnob Thu 04-Nov-10 20:32:47

The courier couldn't have marked it as I boxed it up really well.

ForMashGetSmash Thu 04-Nov-10 20:33:47

Just say fine...I will wait till I gt the item back...(she must pay postage)

Then give her her money back if it is not damaged.

LittleMissBliss Thu 04-Nov-10 20:35:08

Has she e-mailed you pictures of the damage?

ENormaSnob Thu 04-Nov-10 20:39:44

She emailed some poor quality pics of the fabric and some marks that I am certain weren't there when I sent it. She said she would send better pics but they haven't arrived.

ForMash, what do I do if it is damaged though? Surely she can say I did it.

LittleMissBliss Thu 04-Nov-10 20:59:14

I would wait until the better pictures and you can compare them to your pictures. and you will be able to prove the damage wasn't there before sending.

If better pictures aren't e-mailed i'd leave it.

nocake Thu 04-Nov-10 21:00:23

I'd say caveat emptor. You were happy that you described the item correctly so I would tell her that you won't accept it back.

LucindaCarlisle Thu 04-Nov-10 21:07:31

Offer her a Credit Note.

ENormaSnob Thu 04-Nov-10 21:12:13

I can't offer a credit note. I am just a private seller that sold an item I no longer used.

That's why I'm so pissed off tbh. I work ft plus extra shifts at the mo and just don't have the time or energy for this. Honestly I could cry.

galaxy Mon 08-Nov-10 21:30:19

We had this. Sold an excellent condition camcorder via Amazon market place. It was bought by a 13 year old and he jammed the wrong size tape in it; we agreed to try and get it fixed through DH's contacts and then they reported it to Amazon as fault on receipt and Amazon refunded and withdrew our payment!

ChequeredFlag Mon 15-Nov-10 22:01:26

If you are confident that you sold it in good condition, say sorry no refunds. End of!

LaurieScaryCake Tue 16-Nov-10 09:23:59

Don't respond, you don't have to - it's not ebay.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now