Talk

Advanced search

lets talk wheelie bins !

(16 Posts)
drlove8 Wed 12-Aug-09 19:46:27

grin i know its a daft one to post , but i susspect i have the largest wheelie bin in scotland !.... i have a much bigger bin than everyone else i know ... ive even had the neighbours ask how i got a "big" one .... i had other people moaning that they're bins arent as big too. hmm.
Now im curious , because i had to get my bin especially ordered from council as i have a large family .... but as i am not the only one with a large family on mn i'd like to ask you all " how big are your bins?"

DottyDot Wed 12-Aug-09 19:47:41

OK, but do we have to talk about it so much..?! grin

thisisyesterday Wed 12-Aug-09 19:49:02

pmsl dottydot, you beat me to it!
you do love your bin don't you op?

drlove8 Wed 12-Aug-09 19:49:16

lol pmsl ! i dont know what happened there blush
wtf is going on with my laptop?

drlove8 Wed 12-Aug-09 19:52:56

MN TOWERS ???? CAN YOU DELETE THE EXTRA POSTS PLEASE?

lljkk Wed 12-Aug-09 19:55:57

The extra threads deleted, you mean. Do you want to keep this one as it's the only one with replies?

We have an ordinary size wheely bin, it takes us 4-6 weeks to fill it. We recycle and compost a lot . Only 4 DC, though.

theyoungvisiter Wed 12-Aug-09 19:57:34

he he, jsut had to come and laugh at your wheelie bin fetish.

I think you might have to report the other threads to get them deleted.

drlove8 Wed 12-Aug-09 20:03:56

OK im gona report myself!

juuule Wed 12-Aug-09 20:03:56

We have a normal sized black bin(general household rubbish), small brown bin(cans and glass),normal sized green bin(garden cuttings), small food waste bin and a bag for cardboard and paper.

Emptied on alternate weeks
Week1: black bin, brown bin.
Week2: green bin, paper bag.

Food waste taken every week.

notagrannyyet Thu 13-Aug-09 12:33:42

Here most homes have a 240 litre wheelie for household rubbish which is emptied every 2 weeks. 1/2 person households can apply for a smaller 140 lt bin, and any household with more than 5 people can apply for a 360 lt bin. The 360 litre is very big and very hard to move when full!

Every other week glass, plastic, tins, paper and card are collected in separate boxes.

I do compost most food waste. The rest I wrap well before bining but still have to wash maggots out of bin in the summer. I wish we still had weekly collections.

drlove8 Thu 13-Aug-09 19:53:33

thats what i have - the 360 litre bin ! - and two normal size ones , a blue one for paper and a brown one for garden waste.
i miss the weekly collections too, its the smell that anoys me the most ...it almost knocks you out on a hot day <<<bleugh>>

misdee Thu 13-Aug-09 19:55:50

we dont have wheelie bins

but we are a family of 6, and average 2black bags a week of rubbish

duchesse Thu 13-Aug-09 20:09:27

Family of 5 here, often swelled to 6/7 by visitors. We live in the sticks so no wheely bins and usually put out no more than one black bin bag.

duchesse Thu 13-Aug-09 20:10:32

per week- weekly collections still here thankfully. Although we compost most biodegradable stuff or feed it to various animals, so not all that smelly.

sorky Tue 01-Sep-09 17:27:47

Ours is 240L for a family of 6.
We manage to fill 1/2 of it every week. Wouldn't like to think how big it would need to be if we didn't recycle and compost shock

Actually next door but one have 4 adult kids still at home and they usually fill there bin and 4 extra binbags PER WEEK!

Next door to me fill theirs to overflowing (not nice) plus another 1 or 2 bags every week too and there's only 3 of them (2 when she's in a one and chucks him out hmm)

We still throw away too much.

Does Bokashi help to keep it down?

alysonpeaches Wed 30-Sep-09 22:20:43

We have one and a half bins, a normal size one and a small one. Had to fill out a form to get the extra one. We have fortnightly collections or black bin, but also have various recycling bins. I use cloth nappies too otherwise one bin would be totally full of nappies as I have 2 in nappies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now