Talk

Advanced search

If you have one girl and lots of boys --

(24 Posts)
lljkk Mon 25-May-09 09:10:37

-- is your girl quite tomboyish or quite girly?

I have 1 dd, 3 ds's. DD was very princessy and girly when she was preschool age, but now (7yo) she calls herself a tomboy, only wears trousers and shuns princesses, etc. Although I think she's still very girly, really, compared to the real boys in the house. But then she started Brownies and she doesn't seem girly at all compared to the others in her pack! I'm not very girly so perhaps that's the main reason DD isn't either?

juuule Mon 25-May-09 10:06:26

I had a lone girl for 6 years and we did wonder whether it was the 3 boys influencing her behaviour. She loved frilly stuff and beads etc (but then so did one of the ds) but would be found climbing fences with them and getting stuck in with whatever games they were playing. Not intimidated at all.
However, we now think it was probably a mix of opportunity and personality as we have since had other girls who are just as ready to tackle stuff.
We've noticed that some of our girls go a bit 'girly' is when they want to fit in with their peer group.

pasturesnew Mon 25-May-09 10:10:47

I am 2nd of 4 children, with 3 brothers, was not v girly as a small child in terms of dressing up etc. but was quite sporty and healthy for that and then when I started going out as a teenager I got into dressing up more ... at 7 yo my mum was always trying to get me into dresses though!

purpleflower Mon 25-May-09 10:17:27

I'm the only girl with 3 big brothers. I was almost exactly how you describe your DD. I have got a little bit girlier over time but I'm still not as girly as a lot of my friends. My mum wasn't very girly either.

I always prefered to be up a tree than playing with dolls

lljkk Wed 27-May-09 12:29:50

Do you (or did you if you were the only girl) spend extra girls-only time as a mom-daugther pair, to make up for the testosterone fueled astmospher the rest of the time? I do try a bit with DD, but it's hard to make it happen with the demands of the others.

georgiemum Wed 27-May-09 12:30:36

Possibly. My brother was an only boy with 4 sisters and he is far from girly.

flashharriet Wed 27-May-09 12:32:49

Mmm interesting. I have to say that in all the families I know like this, the girls )especially if the youngest) are very girly. I think this might have a lot to do with the mums though tbh.

flashharriet Wed 27-May-09 12:33:20

Saying that though, all the girls are 6 or under so maybe things will change.

Rubyrubyruby Wed 27-May-09 12:33:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

elvislives Fri 29-May-09 19:33:21

We had 1 girl then 3 boys. DD was a real tomboy. Wouldn't wear dresses and wanted to be a boy. Went on until she was about 14 and the influence of friends took over.

missismac Sun 07-Jun-09 09:44:03

DD is 13, followed by 3 DS's (youngest now 5). She does feel the lack of a sister. Last summer we had a cousin to stay who is 3 yrs older than DD. The whole tone of our family shifted & felt much more balanced. She & I really enjoyed it.

I do try and spend Mum/daughter time with her, but like lljk, it's hard with the demands of others & DH doesn't seem to get it.

My DD had always been fairly girly. Her room is pink and she has enjoyed barbies, dolls houses, sylvanian families and groovy girls in her time. Having said that, she always keen to join in a outdoor games - rounders etc, and when we're on holiday she likes to be outdoors building dens and so on with her brothers. So probably a good mix?

bronze Tue 09-Jun-09 15:53:33

one dd 3 ds here

dd is a bit like Ruby describes an odd mix of incredibly girly and quite tomboyish.

Geepers Tue 09-Jun-09 15:57:44

My only daughter is still quite young at 2.5, but has three older brothers aged 15, 8 and 6, and she is the girliest girl I know. she is very loving and nurturing with her 'babies', loves pink, loves necklaces and pretty things etc.

crokky Tue 09-Jun-09 16:14:32

I have 3 brothers - I have no interest in anything girly and never have done.

Although I know a little girl who has 3 brothers as well and she is a pink princess, so you never know!

ChopsTheDuck Tue 09-Jun-09 16:20:56

I wasn't girly at all as a child, hated dresses and spent a lot of time up trees or on my bike!

dd has three brothers. She is incredibly girly. Hates being made to wear trousers, loves make up, jewellery, crafts, fairies, etc.

I don't thinkt he boys have had much influence on her at all really, though maybe it helps that she is the oldest. One of my youngest is quite girly too!

hollyfort Wed 29-Jul-09 21:55:48

just wonderin did any of you who had your girl first and then three boys have a desire to have another girl or were just happy to leave it

alardi Fri 07-Aug-09 11:06:38

But what would you do if 5th child was a boy, Hollyfort? I would have preferred more than one DD, but not sure I try for another baby only on that basis.

elvislives Fri 07-Aug-09 21:52:50

All of my boys were supposed to be girls blush You soon get over it.

We had a late baby 17 years after DC4 who turned out to be DD2. We'd been so convinced she was DS4 that it took some getting used to that she wasn't a boy.

FiveGoMadInDorset Fri 07-Aug-09 21:54:36

My Aunt had one girl followed by 8 boys.

QOD Fri 07-Aug-09 21:59:33

My great Gran had 10 girls LOL
My dad, the only child to the oldest, was in pink everything for the first year of his life, well bedding, blanket, shawl, jacket .... they were convinced they couldnt haveboys.... and it was 1949 so clothing coupons meant he had to stay in his pink crib LOL

hollyfort Fri 07-Aug-09 23:20:23

not goin to make any decisions for quite a while am 35 this mth and if i did go again sure i'd like a girl, if i had one boy and 3 girls i'd want another boy but whatever i have if we did decide to go again would of course be loved, i'll just have to live and enjoy the present!!

hollyfort Sat 08-Aug-09 12:38:15

elvislives just wonderin why you say all your girls were meant to be boys?? Don't feel like that about my boys at all

elvislives Sun 09-Aug-09 15:41:46

other way around hollyfort. I wanted 3 girls. First we had DD1. Then we had DS1 then DS2 then DS3. Each time I was pregnant I hoped it was a girl. Each time it was a boy. Once they arrive they are just your baby and it ceases to matter what sex they are.

hollyfort Mon 10-Aug-09 14:01:14

u mean u were happy with babies when they arrived?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now