Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How does it work - Small baby sharing a room with other children?

(11 Posts)
stickybeaker Sun 04-Jan-09 20:00:29

We're in the process of selling our small 2 bed house, and will rent something bigger. However, The difference in price between renting a 2 bed to a 3 bed in this area is quite alot. At the moment we have one 11 month DD who's used to being in her own room.

I'd like to get pregnant again soonish.

So I was thinking - if we rented a 2 bed (bigger than we have now), how reasonable would it be for a baby and DD to share? Assume I got pregnant tonight grin, she'd be coming up to 2 by the time I'd given birth and wanted newbie to be out of our room. DD1 would still need daytime naps, and is quite a light sleeper. My DH works shifts as a driver so disturbed sleep has to be avoided as much as possible.

Has anyone got experience of this? I'd really appreciate any thoughts!

treedelivery Sun 04-Jan-09 20:05:53

Me too!! My dd2 expected nowish, will share with dd1 who will be 5 to 5 1/2 when they take up residence together. Although we could keep dd2 with us longer till she's settled baby. 16 perhaps.

It sounds totally bonkers to me - but people must have done it when they had larger families afterall!!

Toothache Sun 04-Jan-09 20:08:37

Hiya,

I did that with my 2. Ds was 3 when dd was born. We were in a 2 bedroomed house for a year after that. It went absolutely fine. In fact, better than fine. Dd ended up in her the other room by the age 12 weeks, coz she had the noise of ds breathing through the night to comfort her. When she woke up in the morning she just cooed at ds for an hour or so before demanding food. lol. smile

And ds would sometimes put teletubbies video on and crawl back into his bed whilst dd watched! grin

OHBollox Sun 04-Jan-09 20:10:08

It'll be fine with the age gap you have not ideal if one was at school for example but I'm sure your DD will be fine.

stickybeaker Sun 04-Jan-09 20:23:50

That's really nice to hear good stories. I keep thinking that the human race wouldn't have survived if everyone needed their own bedroom. However, I guess responsibilities and expectations have changed a bit over the last 50 years or so.

miniandme Sun 04-Jan-09 20:44:58

Well we have dd1 whos just turned 6 and she shares a room with both our twins who will be a year on saturday,it works great as ye sshe puts lights on in the morning and lifts the twins out of their cots to play with her or they stand and watch her playing and watch tv with her grin

treedelivery Sun 04-Jan-09 20:54:32

Thats good news for me miniandme as we will have same gap!

ravenAK Sun 04-Jan-09 21:00:58

We've got ds (4.5), dd1 (2.9) & dd2 (10m) all in one room, which is a bit mad, but I bought this house as a single woman with a long-distance bf...fast-forward 6 years...grin

It works fine - they all amuse each other if they wake before us smile

mrsdisorganised Sun 04-Jan-09 21:05:51

My dd's all share a room, dd1 (8), dd2(6), dd3(4) and dd4(15 months)....never had a problem...although we only moved dd4 from our room when she was 11 months....agree with ravenAK dd1 gets dd4 out of her cot and they all play together in the morning smile

missymoo2411 Sun 04-Jan-09 22:05:08

it better for them to share at a young age isnt it i know it doesnt matter were i put mine they all move beds should just have a double bed for them to share and i have 4 kids

stickybeaker Mon 05-Jan-09 12:11:18

Excellent - I love the thought of older ones starting the day without Mum or Dad to oversee everything.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now