Talk

Advanced search

Noisy Children!

(4 Posts)
firsttimemum2010 Mon 07-Oct-19 17:41:29

I'm at my wits end - my children are SO noisy! I don't know how to deal with this!! For example, when we are all sitting together for a meal (we eat together at the table for all meals when home) it just seems like they progressivly get louder and louder, all talking over each other. I've tried to implement taking turns to speak and not interrupting but they seem to forget especially when they're excited about something. The actual volume of their voices is loud too, especially the boys.

Please help me! How do people manage this?

They're also really noisy when we're walking down the street. I would describe them as "lively" but they are very well behaved at school, work hard and everyone always comments how polite they are.

I have to admit that I do end up shouting to ask them to keep their voices down. I know that's not ideal but otherwise I don't know how else they will hear me over all their noise. I do feel it is a bit ironic to shout to tell them to stop shouting but I don't know what else to do!
I'm quite a softly spoken person and quiet in nature.

Is this normal? I know they are just kids but surely they don't have to be so loud??? Are other people's houses like this?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

I forgot to say their ages - 9, 6, 4 and 2.

DustyDoorframes Tue 08-Oct-19 16:56:56

No useful advice, but I feel your pain! The dinner table yelling, running home shouting from school, and then hammering on the door like maniacs even though nobody is in and I have the key. Mine are also prone to singing little drones to themselves (loudly) as they go about their business, and shouting out randomly. Even the newborn creaks and hums as she sleeps. Me and DP are nice quiet people, promise.

firsttimemum2010 Mon 14-Oct-19 12:12:48

I love it that even the newborn is joining in! Glad I'm not the only one with a noisy brood.. am I expecting too much?!

Maybe when the 2 year old gets a bit bigger, things will quieten down.. I think she thinks it is normal to be VERY loud as that's what her brothers and sister do! At least when older I can reason with her!

redhotketchup999 Mon 14-Oct-19 12:25:49

My 5 year old DD does not stop making noise. Humming, tapping, singing, shouting, staging “plays”, bossing her toys around, narrating play, making random noises, saying the same sentence over and over again.
I feel your pain.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »