Talk

Advanced search

Second child worries

(3 Posts)
Newmum26 Wed 25-Sep-19 21:39:47

We have a DS who is 2.5 years. He is the centre of our worlds and we love him to bits, he gets lots of time, love and we do lots with him.
We always said we wanted two children, but since having our son I am finding it hard to imagine changing our now perfect family of 3 to a family of 4 and having another baby.
We would like another child, and a sibling for our son, but I have so many worries: Will I love another one as much as we do our son? Is it fair on him?
I also dread the sleepless nights and teething etc, I think you are 'aware' of it before you have your first baby as everyone says oh sleepless nights to look forward to haha but I think having actually had your first and gone through it it's kind of worse now as I know all too well what it's like and how tough it is at times when you only get a few hours sleep.
I know no one can make the decision for me but I am just wondering if anyone felt the same and can offer any stories or advice? Thanks ☺️

lljkk Thu 26-Sep-19 05:48:32

Love isn't finite, instead it expands to fill the space available.

There are a lot of concerns like yours on previous MN threads if you can try advance search. I just know that the 2nd is a lot easier than first. Personally I didn't want all my attention & concerns on just one child; I felt like I would worry too much, lose perspective, expect too much of them (& myself). One child is fine but 2 kids is fine, too (no children is a valid choice, too).

Good luck with your decisions.

SkinnyNorris Wed 16-Oct-19 07:27:48

I think this is an extremely common fear parents have when deciding to have a second child. I had these thoughts too. Was obsessed with my first son and couldn’t imagine loving another child as much as him. I decided on a second because I knew I didn’t want DS1 to be an only child. I will say this, 100% you will love this child as much as your first. It might not even be immediate after birth but it will happen. DS2 is just like me and the biggest helper out of all 4 of my children. Good luck!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »