Talk

Advanced search

4th baby (and 4th c-section) at 40?

(13 Posts)
Threnody Sun 15-Sep-19 23:25:03

OH and I are struggling to decide whether to try for baby #4. I've just turned 40, and have 2 boys and a girl already, 4.5, almost 3 and almost 1. Practically it's probably a bad idea, but we both would love another baby! Am I too old? Is 4 c-sections too many?How on earth do you go anywhere?

dottydee3 Wed 18-Sep-19 10:40:50

Wee are also thinking about ttc #4. Really I think if you'd love another one then the other stuff doesn't really matter. The cs thing, OH is from Ireland he says over there 5 or 6 sections isn't unusual. Might be worth discussing with a mw?

IVEgottheDECAF Wed 18-Sep-19 10:43:35

I have 5, but no sections.

My friend had 4 sections and was encouraged to be sterilised during the last one by her consultant

imip Wed 18-Sep-19 18:59:46

I had my 4th section at 40. I’m 48 now, things have gotten a lot easier - mine are similar ages to you, now 7-12.

I was sterilised during the section as 4 was my number and I didn’t want to have to worry about contraception anymore. The 4th section did ‘ruin’ my figure and I never got back to pre-baby like I did with all the others. But that could be age-related also?

LuckyLou7 Wed 18-Sep-19 19:09:12

Go for it. Get a people carrier. You want 4 children, have them. I have 4, 5 years between first and last, all adults now, healthy and happy and close to each other.

Threnody Thu 19-Sep-19 08:13:06

Thanks.
How do you handle going for walks etc IVEgottheDECAF? My main worry is I'll never leave the house again, or struggle on the school run!

IVEgottheDECAF Thu 19-Sep-19 08:19:05

Mine are currently 11, 10, 6, 2 and 12 days so my big ones are quite a bit older than yours. I dont drive so lots of walking, i do 90% of school runs.
My big two walk to school with friends. I take 6 year old with baby in pram, dc4 part walks and part stands on buggy board. Its working well for us so far.

Crazymummyto3 Sun 22-Sep-19 08:34:14

My friend had her 4th baby, 4th c section at 39 and found this last one to be the easiest section with the quickest recovery time. She has been advised not to have any more though. Speak to you midwife if you are worried, but I do think more people have having more c sections and at older ages. The biggest factor is going to be your health, if you are healthy and it's what you want then I'd say go for it! We've ummed and arrghed over number four so have decided to ttc and see what happens with the notion that we know we won't regret having another but might regret not trying when we get too old if that makes sense??

DCIRozHuntley Sun 22-Sep-19 08:45:01

I found 3 under 5, like you have now, really easy and loved being a tribe. I think you should give it a few months to see how you find having a child at school - it's a bit of a different ball game in terms of pick ups, drop offs, crazy mornings and wraparound childcare. Could it be a bit of grief that that preschool phase is over? I guess she started school a fortnight ago?

I now have 4 - they are 7.5, 5.5, 3.5 and 6 months old. We left a slightly larger gap between 3 and 4 for the reasons I've explained (although I was in my 20s so less time constraints). I love having 4 but don't see how I'll return to work.

Threnody Sun 22-Sep-19 13:06:45

I am worried it may be a mixture of getting older, my eldest starting school (yes, he's been there for a couple of weeks now), my youngest coming to the end of breastfeeding, and going back to work in two weeks. But we've been talking about it for a while now.

Cantrip Sun 22-Sep-19 17:01:25

I’m due to have section number 4, all being well, in February, at which point I’ll be 41. My first child was born naturally, but numbers 2, 3 & 4 were sections for various reasons.
Our other kids are now a fair bit older though - my biggest issue is not being able to drive, as I need to be up and about ASAP to do school and activity runs as we live in quite a rural area.

MercuryRising Mon 23-Sep-19 21:03:41

I had my 4th c section at 38 and apart from an infection in my scar it all went well. The surgeon told me despite the fact that each section carries an increasing level of risk I could have a 5th section if that was what I wanted. OH and I have decided 4dc is enough for us but I was happy that we were able to make that choice for ourselves. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Pamplem00se Fri 27-Sep-19 18:52:42

I'm due to have section number four in a little over a month. Consultant at number three said all looked good and just to leave it a year. Older children are 9 7 and 3. I can't wait smile I'm 36 x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »