Talk

Advanced search

2 to 3

(12 Posts)
obkb Wed 04-Sep-19 12:42:08

So after months of feeling like I want to add another to our mix my husband has finally agreed. My eldest is nearly 5 and there is 3.5 years between her and my youngest. I feel this gap is a bit too big. My youngest is 15 months old. My question is how did people find a smaller gap? Do we start trying now or wait for a longer one. TIA x

Clettercletterthatsbetter Thu 05-Sep-19 05:54:52

I got pregnant when DD was 15m, so the gap was almost dead on 2 years.

I won’t lie, the first six months were hard. Looking back, DD was just a baby herself, and she found the adjustment quite difficult, though she was my first so it may be easier for your DC2 as they are already used to sharing you with their sibling.

That said, I’m currently 18 weeks pregnant with DC3 - there will be 2y 4m between DS and the baby, so I’m hoping 4 months makes all the difference!

user1474894224 Thu 05-Sep-19 05:57:50

I have 2 years between mine. So at one point I had 3 under 5. I knew no different so can't compare. They are all close enough in age to be quite close and play together. However there would be other benefits if there were bigger gaps.

obkb Thu 05-Sep-19 10:04:50

Thanks for your input. I think we'll start trying around Christmas so my lo will be 18mo and see what happens. 😁

PotteringAlong Thu 05-Sep-19 10:07:38

Mine are 7, 4 and 2. I’m not going to lie, 1 to 2 was a doddle, 2 to 3 nearly broke me.

PotteringAlong Thu 05-Sep-19 10:08:57

Meant to say, I’ve got 2.9 between 1 and 2 and 2.3 between 2 and 3 so 1 and 3 are almost exactly 5 years apart

ThroughThickAndThin01 Thu 05-Sep-19 10:12:57

My gaps with 3 dc was 2yrs 4mth between ds1 and ds2, then 21 months between ds2 and ds3.

I actually found going from two to three a breeze, very easy.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Thu 05-Sep-19 10:14:23

Just over 4 years between 1 and 3.

But as you can see, we are all different in our experiences grin

chopchopquick Thu 05-Sep-19 13:46:57

I had almost 21 months bewtween the first two, it was busy. Going to the other extrerme we had 9 years between dc2&3. Whilst we never wanted such a huge gap it was just the way things worked out but I would take the small gap anyday. With smaller gaps, the activity stages are roughly the same, making groups, clubs, days out a lot easier and just the general set up. Good luck!

Didiplanthis Fri 13-Sep-19 07:34:38

I planned on 2 but had twins. I love them dearly but I find 3 really hard but that maybe because I didn't really ever think I'd have 3. I was happy with 1 esp as was older so didn't know of 2 would happen. Also DT both have ASD which makes things trickier. But holidays cost more, days out cost more, cars usually cost more. My sanity is gone. BUT on good days when they all play together it's amazing to see and they have a different sort of bond with 3 as they fluctuate through the group who's getting on with who ! In somways there is less jealousy with 3 the 2 as there is never just 1 left out ( although DT are insanely jealous of each other...)

Didiplanthis Fri 13-Sep-19 07:36:12

Oh ! Forgot original question. Dd was 27 months when DTs were born.. 3 under 3 - yay !!

Aunaturalmama Fri 11-Oct-19 22:00:00

My age gap is about 18 months apart and I feel since my first was very high needs, it was hard the first few months. After about a year it wasn’t even the slightest bit hard! Having them 2 years apart would have been much easier. smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »