Talk

Advanced search

DC1 & 2 constant fighting after DC3’s arrival

(4 Posts)
Breckenridged Mon 27-May-19 18:48:11

I only have 3 so not a particularly big family, but thought you lot would be the experts on this.

Before DC3 came along 6 months ago, DD (5yo) and DS (3yo) got on so well. Played brilliantly, really supportive of each other - had the odd bust up but easily resolved.

Now... constant fighting, name calling, snatching, winding up. They will sometimes play well for 15 minutes or so alone but usually need me there constantly modelling conflict resolution.

I’m dealing with it as much as I can by using humour, getting them giggling, but I’m also snapping a LOT - and I never used to shout much.

Is this normal? Is it a phase? (Please...) Any words of advice?!

JoMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 27-May-19 19:54:25

Bumping this for you, OP. It's so many years since mine were this age I can barely remember all the squabbles. But there were definitely squabbles!

Hang on in there. brew

aweedropofsancerre Mon 27-May-19 20:11:44

Yep that will be a phase....new baby has triggered the need for attention and there fighting is getting it even though it isnt. My DD was 3 when I had her brother and she struggled and started doing protest wees in her bed. She told me once she wanted to put her brother back.....as hard as it is you have to try and spend a little quality time with the older two especially the eldest. Get them involved with the baby so they don't resent them, get them to understand they are the oldest and see it as a sense of pride. the oldest is probably the one instigating this, your younger one has been used to another sibling....good luck...its a tough time

aweedropofsancerre Mon 27-May-19 20:12:37

bloody typo! Should have read 'getting it even though it isnt positive attention'.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »