Talk

Advanced search

We're merging some sections into the Parenting area

(18 Posts)
MichaelMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 15-May-19 16:31:19

Hi all,
We’re doing some work on making the Talk boards more useful and user-friendly for both regular and new users. After looking at some stats for the site, we think we could boost activity on the whole by merging some of the lesser used sections.

We’re proposing to fold this section into the general Parenting area.

This should increase the number of topics in the section - and hopefully lead to more posts and responses to members.

imip Wed 15-May-19 16:51:06

Nooooo! Larger family parents may not post a lot as they have less time on their hands, but it will be lost on the parenting thread. Given that most on MN think family’s with more than 2 dc are solely responsible for the destruction of the planet, it’ll be a bun fight and little safe spaces on MN for us.

EverythingNow Wed 15-May-19 20:00:52

That would be a shame! I found posting on here about ttc number 4 last year really supportive.

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Wed 15-May-19 20:00:59

I agree with imip particularly on the point that this is safe space to post about having more than the norm. On the occasions we do post it’ll get lost. Same with teenagers.

mumofthehs Wed 15-May-19 20:14:04

I'm with the others. Definitely leave us alone lol

littlepooch Wed 15-May-19 20:16:23

Oh no really? When I was expecting surprise dc3 (I appreciate to many 3 kids is not a big family but to me it is lol) this board was so useful! It will be a shame if it goes. I still dip in to see what's happening and get ideas and tips for surviving the mayhem!

NameChangerAmI Sat 18-May-19 12:24:45

I genuinely think that Larger Families should stay as an individual talk board as it's such a specific and supportive platform.

Parents on here have a wealth of experience, and are generous in sharing it. Crucially, it's by and large not judgemental.

Only parents of larger families can understand the highs and lows of having big families, so there seems no logic in opening our posts (e.g. how to best arrange your time on the arrival of your 4th/5th child,) to everyone on the general parenting boards.

Maybe One Child Families could be successfully merged to a general board, as there will be many people on e.g. larger families, ttc, infertility (secondary) who might have experience of having being in a one child family, but this doesn't happen in reverse.

Larger families can only be relevant to you, if you either have a larger family, are part of one, or are hoping for one.

Please don't merge us, and PP is right - it'll only lead to a bun fight!

ipdipskyblue Sun 19-May-19 08:36:34

I'd be really disappointed if that happened, I don't have time to post often but reading the threads on this topic has been a huge support since having twins and becoming a parent of 4. Clearly no one at mn towers has a 'larger' family and has experienced how very different, isolating and overwhelming and judged it can feel. Please don't lose this board.

GreenEggsHamandChips Sun 19-May-19 08:40:40

Im not a larger family but i think this is a really bad idea. I know i don't have the same problems as larger families and their problems will get lost. Some rationalisation is good. But not this area.

IVEgottheDECAF Tue 21-May-19 12:31:26

I would also like this board kept seperate!

chopchopquick Tue 21-May-19 13:58:24

oh no. The page will get lost :-(

DavetheCat2001 Tue 21-May-19 20:52:25

Def keep this board as it is.

Clettercletterthatsbetter Fri 24-May-19 04:32:00

Not a larger family here either (at least yet - I enjoy reading this board as we’re considering more children and it gives an honest perspective about life with 4+).

I’ve seen a lot of very negative attitutides towards larger families on the general parenting board, especially recently, and I am concerned that moving this to the general parenting section would discourage parents of large families from posting for fear of negative reactions/being hounded by the ‘any more than 2 children and you’re single handedly killing the planet’ brigade.

Xeroxarama Fri 24-May-19 04:44:36

Please don’t do this! I think you don’t know how people use the boards. I look specifically for this board to browse it- I’d never find these informative threads otherwise.

BeauticianNotMagician81 Mon 27-May-19 18:24:38

I would hate that. I don't post on here often but I do post and I often scroll through this section before posting to find the advice/support I'm after. I never go onto the parenting section. It's nice to know we are not alone and I agree with a previous poster that some people on mn think that if you have more than two children then you are destroying the planet hmm. I love this board.

troppibambini Mon 27-May-19 20:51:29

No!!!!
There is so much judgment on MN about large families!

Likeagibbon Tue 28-May-19 20:42:09

That would be a shame if the posts were all merged into the general posts.. it is very useful to find info and get advice from other large families and it would be so hard to find and give that if it was put into the general area. Please dont!

Helenj1977 Fri 21-Jun-19 21:46:23

Noooo. I'm contemplating no 4 and often come here to read threads about 4. Please don't merge it

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »