Talk

Advanced search

Jump from 2 to 3 under 5yo

(8 Posts)
MamaRainbow Mon 22-Apr-19 19:12:41

Honest opinions on how hard/easy 3 children under 5 years old is?

WitBeyondMeasure Mon 22-Apr-19 19:17:24

When my youngest was born the eldest was 3 and the second was 1.
I'm not going to lie it was not even remotely easy! Now they are 5,3 and 2 it is easier. The older two play nicely together and the youngest joins in.
My biggest stresses are tantrums (2 and 3 year old set each other off quite frequently) and absolutely no down time until they are in bed now that naps are gone.
The pros are how close they are. They are all usually best buddies and love each other. I'm looking forward to them being a tad older so the youngest can keep up a bit better.

Someoneonlyyouknow Mon 22-Apr-19 19:47:42

My third was born when the eldest was 3 years 10 months, DC2 was 2 years 3 months. I didn't find it too bad but I was lucky and was a full time SAHM until they were all at school/nursery. Also, my eldest was very sensible and the second quite easy-going. DC1 was less keen on a second sibling than the first. I didn't have any family nearby, and the hardest part was probably finding time to do things individually with each child.

lorisparkle Mon 22-Apr-19 20:08:48

I actually enjoyed the jump from 2 to 3 more than the jump from 1 to 2. Ds1 was a tricky baby and toddler but by 4 was getting easier. Ds2 was fairly random as a baby and toddler but idolised ds1 and was fascinated by the baby. Ds3 was an easy baby - slept really well in the day. I think it does depend on the dynamics of the children. I was also enjoying maternity leave, was able to settle ds1 into school, had no commitments and had all my baby groups and friendships established.

I find having a 13, 11 and 9 year old much harder! I am working, rushing around between different sporting activities, coping with homework, friendship issues and teenage hormones. It is so expensive as well!

My DM said to enjoy the pre school years and she was right!!!!

Raver84 Tue 23-Apr-19 06:52:17

It was easy as I was already in baby mode but I was in a cycle of deal with one then the other, change the baby, deal with one, change baby, feed baby, deal with two. It was a never ending cycle. I was a sahm and I did enjoy it. I find it more difficult now they are at achool. I'm. More tired from School runs and the endless list of things to remember. And I have 4 now and I work part time. Mine are 9, 7, 5 and 2. So I had a 4 year old 2 year old and newborn once.

Happyspud Tue 23-Apr-19 06:57:20

Id 3 under 3. It’s been very hard. So I then had 4 under 5 like an idiot but that one wasn’t planned. Yeah it’s tough. I’ve 2 amazingly easy kids, 1 who was normal tough till 3 and a dream since and 1 who is a bit high drama all the time. Even with 3 as easy as can be it’s still exhausting, nonstop, stressful, and honestly unenjoyable. Couldn’t imagine how we’d cope is more of them acted up regularly. I love our family and each child is an utter joy really but wouldn’t like to see anyone I cared about having to struggle like I have for the last 7 yrs. #3 was the turning point between manageable and chaos.

BrillyPribble Tue 23-Apr-19 06:58:06

My third was born when the others were just turned 4 and 3. It was kind of easier than going from 1 to 2 in that the age gap was much better to deal with than the first one of just over a year! But I spent years feeling like I was on a never-ending treadmill and however fast I went I was always behind. Not helped by two of them being appalling sleepers so I didn't reliably get a full nights sleep for about 7 years. And my DH worked away during the week so I did a lot of it alone.
My youngest is 9 now so the physical demands are much easier but it's still a noisy household!

Ding3kids Tue 23-Apr-19 22:24:25

My third was born a month after my boys turned 2 and 4 (not great planning all 3 birthdays within a 3 week period!).
The hardest bit was my eldest had chicken pox 2 weeks earlier, my middle had it the night before I went into labour and despite all the midwives reassuring me that my newborn would be fine, she was then hospitalised at 2 weeks old with chicken pox. That made for a really difficult start so ended up in tears most days.
A friend with 3 said when her youngest got to 18 months life got easier and I think it's true. Although it felt like a lifetime to get to.
My 3 all adore each other and it's lovely to watch. But the bonus of having the so close my eldest wasn't at school yet only preschool so we had our days pretty free and it didn't matter if I got them to preschool late unlike school!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »