Talk

Advanced search

Feeling like I'm spread so thinly!

(7 Posts)
shecamefromgreece Tue 05-Feb-19 18:47:31

Hi I've got four dc aged 14,8,5 and 4 and I'm struggling with the constant demands from them and just wondered if anyone had any words of wisdom?!
14 year old needs to go through every minute of her day with me when she gets home from school which usually involves an hour long monologue from her whilst i make all the appropriate noises, she also needs support with choosing options,friendship issues and all the other teenaged angst...

8 year old is great, she has visual processing disorder so need extra help with school work but other than that is really easy and just gets on with things, this makes me conscious of not leaving her to it so I'm really trying to spend time with her.

5 year old has just started school and is like a sponge and just wants to read and write and spell all the time which is great and I'm trying to fit in as much as possible he also talks non stop..

4 year old is the live wire and very clingy to me, he's also not a great sleeper he loves winding up his brother and sisters.

They are all just normal kids but I just feel like I'm constantly chasing my tail and trying to stay on top of things and I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed by it all at the moment and feel like I'm being dragged in four different directions.

Dh is great when he's here but is out of the house 8-6.
Any words of wisdom or tips in how to just fit everything in?
I'm usually an organised person but just feel like I'm slowly sinking under a mountain of homework,washing and dirty cups...
Or maybe this is just life and I need to suck it up?
I'm just so bloody knackered!

UAEMum Tue 05-Feb-19 18:54:53

Hi, when I had 4, the most chaotic time was when they were 5, 3, 1 and newborn. Then a 5th came along when they were 14, 12, 10 and 9. It is a mental time. I also worked full time throughout, which in all honesty, probably kept me sane!
Now mine are 19, 17, 15, 14 and 5 and life is getting easier.
Don't worry about being the best just get through it day by day. As long as all are fed, clothes, clean and no one is sobbing (except the smallest) assume you have done a good job.
And stop over thinking it. Loads of people grow up in large families. Any family has issues, positives and negatives. Try to go with the flow more.

shecamefromgreece Tue 05-Feb-19 19:05:24

UAEmum I think you've hit the nail on the head. I feel like I'm constantly worrying maybe you're right and I need to chill a bit!
I'm hoping this is just a particularly busy phase <clutches at straws!>

UAEMum Wed 06-Feb-19 02:22:08

I think it gets physically easier and mentally harder lol. But I would really say stop over thinking. Do what you do. They will all be fine! PM me if you need support x

Justagirlwholovesaboy Wed 06-Feb-19 02:29:57

You sound like you are already doing a great job, pair them off when you need downtime though 24 year old should have enough to tell a sponge like 5 year old! Sibling also need to learn to look out for each other to give you a break smile

Justagirlwholovesaboy Wed 06-Feb-19 02:30:22

14 not 24!

mumofthehs Tue 12-Feb-19 19:06:04

The fact your 14 year old wants to talk to you and share her life with you must mean you are a pretty amazing mum and must be doing something right smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »