Talk

Advanced search

Did anyone manage three kids without upgrading car

(8 Posts)
Mrssampras Tue 13-Feb-18 15:57:17

We have a Passat estate, and now three children - newborn, 2 1/2 year old and 5 year old.

We are quite tied into the finance deal we have on the Passat, although we could get out of it, financially it's not great for us to do so as we are only 1 year into a 4 year deal! (Bad planning)

We have managed to get three car seats across the back of the car, but only just, and it feels very precarious, and like it will be a hassle getting in and out. 5 year olds high back booster is in the middle, so she is climbing over one of rear facing seats to get in, either toddler or baby one. We don't use the car for the school run, so I think that will be manageable? It's mainly holidays and weekends, but even so I'm thinking it's not great.

Did anyone manage to cope with three children and not get an mpv, or large SUV?

pallisers Tue 13-Feb-18 15:58:54

We did for a good few months - toyota corolla! Tbh it was a pain getting them in and out but we did use the car for getting to daycare so it was twice a day. The biggest issue I had was the car was low so I was bent over trying to get them in to 3 very tight car seats.

SpeckyB Tue 13-Feb-18 19:04:15

We have a Passat estate and similar aged children and went to InCar Safety in Essex to check out options. We could have fitted 3 seats in the back but we had to take the baby seat (Middle with seat belt) and high backed booster (5 year old) out of the car each time they got in, so I didn’t fancy it.

We are instead (on their advice) putting the 5 year old in the front seat, and second adult in the middle of the other 2 seats. It works ok right now as the baby seat clips in and out on a base. Ultimately I think we’ll need a bigger car.

Mrssampras Thu 15-Feb-18 22:55:02

Thanks, and hello specky b, I remember you from another thread, early on when I was pregnant and panicking about twins. Hope all went well with your new arrival. Yes, I think after a week with three car seats in the back, we are going to have to get a new car. It's a big hassle to get everyone in and out and doesn't feel the safest.

redspottydress Wed 21-Feb-18 20:14:30

Would love to hear recommendations. We need 6 seats with a decent boot space.

somewhereovertherain Wed 21-Feb-18 20:18:04

How about a MultiMac

zzzzz Wed 21-Feb-18 20:18:36

Something like this???

multimac.co.uk/home

zzzzz Wed 21-Feb-18 20:21:22

grin xpost

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: