Talk

Advanced search

Considering tubal ligation at time of c-section

(6 Posts)
Bodicea Sun 14-Jan-18 18:42:45

Not sure if this the right place to post but figured no one in the pregnancy section will have got to this stage yet.
Am currently pregnant. This is my third baby ( 5th pregnancy). All have been planned. But all happened pretty quickly - within one or two months of trying.

I really don’t want a fourth child. It was very much an agonising decision whether to go for no three and it happened the first time we tried.

Anyway so am considering tubal ligation. I wouldnt want to have it any time other than at the time of my section as I figure I will have been through enough and won’t want a separate op but if I am opened up already maybe it’s worth it.

If I don’t have it we will consider vasectomy route.

I worry about the long term implications/ risks/ problems of both these procedures ( ligation for me / vascectomy for him)
Which is the lesser of two evils?

Has anyone considered this and gone ahead with it or considered and discounted. If so what was your reasoning and were you happy with your decision?

Happify Sat 27-Jan-18 12:17:27

Hi there. I had this done at the c-section delivery of my fourth child. My mother was dead against my decision but I felt sure - even if all my children were swept away at sea, I would not choose to deliver another child.

The surgeon advised that statistically, having my tubes clipped at delivery, is less reliable contraception than doing the same procedure at another time, because hormones pump up your Fallopian tubes and then they shrink down, and there is slightly less physical control. If I had had it done after the birth they would pump my abdomen with air and do keyhole surgery.

I went ahead with the procedure at the birth, and don’t regret it for me. I had conceived very easily indeed beforehand and would have accepted the ‘gift’, happily, of an accidental additional one afterwards. But luckily it worked.

I was married to a man I now see clearly as a selfish arse, wrapped in a nice suit and charming manner, and yet at the time I had accepted him saying he would never wear condoms nor ever have a vasectomy. He was after me all the time, and so contraception was up to me.

The surgeon tried to persuade me that a kind husband with four children should accept the less harmful, less instrusive, simple vasectomy when the family is complete. I loved my husband and knew I wouldn’t win the contraceptive argument with him, and so I happily agreed to add the extra surgery during my caesarean.

The father of my children didn’t enjoy the toddlers and was sleeping with girls at the office. I didn’t know. He left me for one of the women and then came back to me because of the children (it was probably because she wasn’t as great as he thought and he had few options). Then he left me for good and I said don’t you even dare try to come back! He left me for a bright and ambitious, pretty and young Eastern Bloc girl, who needed a UK visa. They married and although he promised me he would not have any more children, he did.

I don’t think he is a great dad to toddlers. It causes my teens great anguish that they have a half sibling they love, raised by a temperamental foreign step mum who is in a bad marriage with their selfish dad. He isn’t great with the teens but sees them more and goes out with them which is, I suspect, to get away from his new family!

My mum was right. If there’s something gritty needs doing, like permanent contraception, then the man should do it. We women carry so much burden that men often don’t understand. Just periods alone are such a disadvantage, never mind child birth and breast feeding. And besides, the snip is easier for the man.

You’ll have enough to cope with with the effort of the third child and recovering from a section. My third was the hardest recovery incidentally, feeling like I had been run over, but my fourth was easier.

Let your man have the snip!

PS - I am so happily 2nd time married to a wonderful man (who had the snip) that my first husband did me a favour in some ways.

BeachyUmbrella Sat 27-Jan-18 12:22:12

I had mine done at the time of my third CS. I had to convince the consultant that I wouldn't regret it and that even if my third child didn't survive, that I wouldn't want another. I was pushing 40 so I was pretty sure, but it was a very strange conversation!!

upthewolves Sat 27-Jan-18 12:44:12

I had this done 12 weeks ago when my son was born. I had an easy recovery and haven't noticed any negative effects but then I haven't had a period yet.

I'm 33 and it wasn't questioned at all, they just did it. Added 5 mins to surgery.

Before we knew we were having a section, DH was going to have a vasectomy. But DH knows someone who ended up with problems after his so he was quite nervous. It just made sense for it to be me. And our main reason for not having a 3rd is because I just really really don't want to go through pregnancy and birth again so seemed sensible for it to be me that had the procedure.

imip Sat 27-Jan-18 17:36:27

I had it done at 40 with my 4th dc and 4th section. As much as I love kids, I couldn’t experience another pregnancy again as I get HG all pregnancy, I need surgery each pregnancy in the early second trimester and This was the last of 5 children born in 6 years and 20 days! They did mention that if I suspected I was pregnant again, I should go straight to go as the risk of eptopic pregnancy was high. I actually got to see my Fallopian tubes after they were cut out! It was really just an extra 5 mins during surgery.

happyenough Tue 13-Feb-18 09:50:39

I had this procedure with my 3rd. We definitely didn’t want a 4th baby and a vasectomy would have been complicated for medical reasons. I know ladies that haven’t looked back after their tubal - just not sure I would do it again tbh. I am fairly robust when it comes to just getting on with things, but recovery from c-sec was longer and more painful than with first 2 (although hard to say if whether this would have been the case anyway). My cycle went a bit haywire and I experienced significant monthly ovulation pain, which had never been an issue before. I now have the Minerva coil - purely for hormonal reasons. I never fully trusted the 1 in 200 falling pregnant statistic either (I tend to be the ‘1’ that things happen to) - think it would have been simpler and more reassuring to go the 1 in 1000 (?) vasectomy route if it was an option for us. Good luck with whatever you decide x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: