Talk

Advanced search

Has any body on here had several home births?

(11 Posts)
Needmorehands Mon 11-Dec-17 20:49:44

I had a consultant appt today and she suggested that because my uterus is so overworked (5th baby, a surprise, but the previous one was 6 yrs ago) I was a high risk for post partum haemorrage. I wondered if anyone else had been told this, or knew where I could find more information?
Thank you

MissTFied Mon 11-Dec-17 20:53:26

Interesting. I have not heard that before. I am currently of with my 5th too, and with a 7 yr age gap. I had a PPH with my first, but with none of the others. A home birth would be lovely but I feel I need to be in hospital in case I have another PPH.

BrawneLamia Mon 11-Dec-17 20:55:20

I've only had one, but this website has some info www.homebirth.org.uk/multipara.htm

Needmorehands Tue 12-Dec-17 21:48:21

Hi MissTFied nice to meet someone else on their 5th smile When are you due?
Thanks for the link Brawne for some reason I struggled to find many results on google that weren't discussions on parenting sites, frustrating!

MissTFied Tue 12-Dec-17 23:58:28

Hi needmorehands! I am due end of Feb. I think although 4 or 5 children were always on the cards, that I am a little bit in shock still and am in denial...has it sunk in for you yet? confused

sweetkitty Wed 13-Dec-17 00:02:13

I've had two, nos 2&3. No 4 was a hospital birth but not for any PPH concerns.

Hawkmoth Wed 13-Dec-17 00:06:08

I've had three. Second was technically a PPH but for various reasons didn't get recorded properly. Anyway, the one after that was fine, but unattended because it was so quick.

debbs77 Wed 13-Dec-17 00:11:24

For number six I was told that I would have to give birth on the Labour ward regardless of previous pregnancies . But I wasn't happy with that so had a consultation and they agreed i could go on the low risk ward with the pools etc xx

Needmorehands Wed 13-Dec-17 19:08:39

I like you already MissTFied! thank you for making me feel more normal about taking ages to get my head round it! I'm not due until mid May so hopefully by the time I'm holding a baby I will have worked it out!

Interesting update on the consultant and her PPH concerns. I contacted a few societies including AIMS (Association for Improvements in Maternity Services) giving some of my history, and my current dilemma. I received an e-mail which said that the most recent (2016) paper published by the RCOG does not even include several previous deliveries on its list of factors with increased risk. There was a link to some studies, the most risk averse of which said that after 4 previous deliveries the risk of PPH rose from 6 in a 1000 to 8 in a 1000 deliveries - a far cry from the maybe as much as 50% which the consultant guessed at. I feel reassured

MissTFied Thu 14-Dec-17 00:13:34

So did you have any of your others at home at all? Are you going to have this one at home?
I think it would be lovely to have my other children witness a home water birth, but we are also having major building work after Christmas, so another reason probably not a good idea!
All the best to you, wherever you give birth. smile

Needmorehands Thu 14-Dec-17 10:49:26

Oh wow! Good luck with the building work! Its about 4 yrs since we had a major extension and I still remember the hassle! Hope it all goes well. And yes, all 4 have been born at home - partly why I'm not keen to start in hospital now! There is nothing to beat big brother meeting new baby sibling at a few minutes old although he hasn't actually seen them being born yet...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: