Talk

Advanced search

Help! Broody with a newborn - what is that about?!

(17 Posts)
24carrot Tue 14-Nov-17 16:31:10

Hello, not sure if this is the right place to be asking but I'm hoping some of you ladies might be able to relate to this...
My three kids are 6, 3.5 and 15 days old - I really wanted a third but beat myself up about it for ages because it's far from the norm where I live (London) where most of my friends have a max of two kids and we don't have any family to help so I was worried how we'd cope. But DH was also keen so we went for it and here we are and so happy we did.
The pregnancy was pretty hard and I was very grumpy and adamant this was the last time. However now she's here I just can't believe we are 'done' and keep wondering if we can fit a 4th into our lives one day and how would all the practicalities work... I have shocked myself with these feelings but tbh this was how it was after DC2's birth and the feelings never left. Can anyone relate and tell me what happened to you please? Is it just crazy hormones talking?! It bothers me because I want to enjoy these baby days, not waste them daydreaming about some hypothetical future baby but can't seem to stop myself! Thanks!

MissConductUS Tue 14-Nov-17 16:43:29

I think it's just the crazy hormones whispering in your ear. There is a hormonal transition that you're in now.

I love the word "broody". I've always thought of it as "the baby hunger" and I had it after my first and to a less extent after the second, but it took a few months to kick in for me.

MissConductUS Tue 14-Nov-17 16:50:04

By the way, there was a very similar thread just yesterday:

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/pregnancy/3086265-already-want-another-baby-surely-this-isn-t-normal

You might find some of the responses there helpful.

24carrot Tue 14-Nov-17 17:25:00

Ooh thanks MissConductUS, will check that out...

MissConductUS Tue 14-Nov-17 19:05:56

You're welcome. And where are my manners? Congratulations on your new dear child! smile

MyBrilliantDisguise Tue 14-Nov-17 19:08:31

My daughter was born at 9 pm. I remember being in bed with her asleep beside me at midnight and everything in me yearned for another child. It's your hormones, OP! Make the most of your lovely baby.

24carrot Tue 14-Nov-17 19:59:50

Thank you both! MyBrilliantDisguise, yes! I'm so glad it's not just me - did those feelings wear off for you or did you have another?!

greatBritishBogOff Tue 14-Nov-17 20:55:04

My Dc3 turns 1 this week. I found the pg really tough this time. I am SERIOUSLY considering dc4, can't get it out of my head! Dc3 felt like a crazy idea, wtf am I thinking!

A friend told me this week she is pg with No.4, I think that's made me think about it more. TBH, I have felt like since since Dc3 was born, nope, it hasn't gone away 🤦🏼‍♀️

ladybirdsaredotty Wed 15-Nov-17 07:22:15

I have the same number and ages of children as you, OP. I've been thinking about a fourth, too! But this time i KNOW we really can't afford a third fourth, so I know it won't actually happen.

I felt exactly the same after my second was born. Similar to a PP, I remember staring at her in her little plastic cot in hospital and thinking 'you can't be my last!'. That feeling actually did go away gradually, but came back with a vengence when i went off the pill (as the pill was making me feel awful)...pregnant with DC3 within a month shock

I totally think it's just hormonal. But no idea what to do about that! I know that being on the pill dampens those feeling for me, but also makes me feel a bit depressed, so hardly a solution. Good luck OP, I'm hoping the feelings will go away with time. And congratulations!

ladybirdsaredotty Wed 15-Nov-17 07:24:02

(My third is only a week or 2 older than yours, OP!)

euanthesheepiloveyou Wed 15-Nov-17 10:05:08

My 6th is 6 months & I completely hear you!! I don't think the feeling will ever leave me (until the menopause maybe?!!), even though I said this was definitely the last. I think if I'd have started a bit younger I'd give the Radford family a run for their money! 😉

jimmyjammyjumbo Wed 15-Nov-17 13:46:14

I’m the same as you op except my dc3 is now 11 weeks and I’ve been feeling like that from the minute he was born! I’ve been obsessively stalking these boards too and imagining dc4, or even having twins, 6 etc.
When I had just two I really deliberated about having a third as I was worried about how I’d cope with the pregnancy, three kids, affording it all etc and now I’m imagining all the ways I can go through it all again and again. I really should be getting rid of some girls clothes now that I’ve had a boy but I just can’t face it in case I need them again. Totally unexpected, I was so looking forward to enjoying the fact that I knew he would be my last!

HettyB Wed 15-Nov-17 19:05:29

DC2 is 6 weeks old and I keep thinking about having another. I think we will, but not for a few years! It must be the hormones talking...

Ding3kids Mon 20-Nov-17 06:36:46

I've got a 4 year old, 2 year old and 9 month old and that was supposed to be it, took enough convincing DH for 3rd but I can't stop thinking about a 4th. Although we've got rid of all our baby stuff as the baby grows so we'd have to buy everything again. Around us 3 isn't too unusual but 4+ is.

Gem2018london Mon 20-Nov-17 06:43:45

Congratulations! smile

What do you think would be best for your current children? For me, this is the most important question. And if I’m 100% honest, I don’t think having another sibling is what’s best for them. (But that’s me and my opinion!)

Wish all the best for your and your family smile

Smurfsrock Mon 20-Nov-17 12:03:35

Arghhh sitting here with my 4do and feeling the same! Hope it's hormones as DH is adamant we're not having any more!

Woolymummy Mon 18-Dec-17 21:33:55

Congratulations!
I know the feeling! I've felt broody with all of my newborns, I think it is hormones.
My broodiness seems to wear off, then returns when periods come back when baby is about 7mo....i'm pregnant with baby no6.
I have googled 'how to stop feeling broody on several occasions!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: