Talk

Advanced search

Meal ideas

(6 Posts)
mumof1000s Sun 15-Oct-17 06:50:22

Due to my two ss moving in as of next week we will be a family of 6, money is going to be tight.

I'm after meal ideas that are gone made healthy cheap and hopefully quick or can be done in the slow cooker

Thank you

mumof1000s Mon 16-Oct-17 07:23:07

Anyone? X

Mammyofonlyone Mon 16-Oct-17 22:06:38

I've just got a slow cooker so am going to try chilli in that, but I add a box of very finely chopped mushrooms which makes it go much much further and they also just take on the taste of the mince - often people don't even realise I've put them in there

chocolatespiders Mon 16-Oct-17 22:08:28

Bulk out spaghetti bol with red lentils and grated carrot.
Look on bbc good food for slow cooker recipes

Junglefowl Mon 16-Oct-17 22:14:58

I often make stews or bolgnaise etc as you can add hidden veg or otherwise to make it go twice as far plus it's healthy! So tonight's shepherds pie had blended spinach and lots of other veg stirred in , stews often have chickpeas. I often make huge soups as again full of veg and popular, often with cheese on toast to make sure everyone has enough calories.

Would everyone eat lentils? You can feed a lot of people cheaply with dahl, rice and poppadoms as a meal. My mum will often do things like this and use meat more for flavour than the main ingredient..

I actually think there's nothing wrong with beans on toast either! I make my own baked beans if I have time as they're lovely- and soaking your own haricot beans and slow cooking them is only a slight fiddle but costs v little

mumof1000s Tue 17-Oct-17 12:30:28

Thank you all

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: