Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

17 yr old learning to drive - family car?

(9 Posts)
Hallamoo Sun 03-Sep-17 19:51:44

What do those of you with 4 or more DC do when your eldest is old enough to learn to drive?

We have 4DC, DS1 will be 17 soon. We have a big 7 seater which would be unsuitable for him to learn in, and DH has a smaller company car, but you have to be over 25 to drive it (company policy). Don't really want to buy a 3rd car, is there another option?

How often do you need your 7 seater, once older kids are 17+, except for holidays? Could we get away with a smaller family car?

Advice welcome!

BackforGood Sun 03-Sep-17 22:30:56

Do you mean for lessons ?
Mine both learned on the instructors car.

Shadow1986 Sun 03-Sep-17 22:32:03

What car will he be driving when he passes?

Hallamoo Mon 04-Sep-17 09:00:22

Yes, he will have lessons, but will need to practice inbetween lessons with us. Lessons are expensive!

I practised in my Mum's car with her next to me when I was 17, don't most 17 year old's do that?

When he passes he will drive the same car as when learning with us - hence me asking for advice.

Hallamoo Mon 04-Sep-17 09:02:30

I suppose the focus of my post, is the two last questions;

'How often do you need your 7 seater, once older kids are 17+, except for holidays? Could we get away with a smaller family car?'

BackforGood Mon 04-Sep-17 20:21:30

We replaced our 7 seater when ours were 18, 16, and 13.
I have been surprised how much we have missed it. There are only 5 in our family and I thought - we don't go out together that much, we won't need one, but then eldest got a long term relationship, so family meals etc became 6 and we couldn't do it.

No, neither of mine drove our car until they had passed, same with all my nieces and nephews and most of my dcs friends (of those I know about).

We have 2 cars, so, in the first year after passing, I put each of mine onto the 'old' / 'little' car's insurance - it is just a 1 litre engine and was already fairly scratched and battered. My nieces all had to wait until they have been able to afford their own cars. I think if you have one, family car, then it probably isn't realistic to put a 17 or 18 yr old on it, tbh. Probably far more useful to save for a small, 2nd runaround, an then they can help you out with a lot of the to-ing and fro-ing. I realise that is another insurance to pay, but in terms of costs vs usefulness it is something I'd aim to save for (insurance would be cheaper than on a bigger engine too).

Hallamoo Mon 04-Sep-17 21:05:11

Thanks backforgood, that's useful.

We have 2 cars, (one people carrier & one company car), neither of which he could drive, so saving for a low engine toy around, would be a 3rd car, which we were hoping to avoid.

I was hoping that DH could get a larger people carrier company car, but sadly he can't.

Louw12345 Mon 23-Oct-17 16:04:58

Does your son work? If so is he saving along side you for a car? Or is he just going to be sharing your car?

Hallamoo Sat 18-Nov-17 22:03:43

He is saving for driving lessons, but would share whatever car I have, rather than having his own.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now