Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Do you stock up on medicine?

(7 Posts)
Oddsocksforeveryone Wed 17-May-17 08:04:23

I currently have 3dc 7yr, 5yr, 10 months and 4th on the way.
We are currently all ill (not all with the same thing it seems) and it occurred to me that when I did my shop yesterday I could only buy 2 packs of paracetamol (for DH and I) and it got me thinking that 32 paracetamol isn't going to go far in the future when there's 6 of us using it. And that applies to everything, 4dc using calpol, ibuprofen, olbas oil etc.
So families with 4dc+ do you have well stocked first aid cupboards?

RedBugMug Wed 17-May-17 08:09:59

only 2 dc here, but we have a well stocked medicines cabinet ever since we were hit with swine flu and I couldn't buy otc stuff because I was visibly pregnant and 'they' wouldn't let me. I was the last person standing with dc and dh very ill at home and not able to make it from bed to sofa, never mind the shops...
so yes, we have a 'flu stack' of ibuprofen, paraceramol, nose spray, tissues...

AuntieStella Wed 17-May-17 08:18:40

3 DC and yes, I keep a stock of paracetamol and ibuprofen in the house (bought routinely with online supermarket shop) plus hot lemon rememdies in the winter.

One other thing that can be handy is also using a pharmacy (independent or small chain - not supermarket). Because if they get to 'know' you there, or at least have seen how many DC you have, they are more able to exercise the discretion that exists in the rules and sell you different products in one transaction (or put consecutive transactions through if you need a lot of one item). That's a favour though, not something you can insist on.

imip Wed 17-May-17 22:57:20

Yes, 4dc and a 3 storey house. I want a 'set' of medicine upstairs and down stairs (so I don't fall down the stairs grabbing calpol in the middle of the night.

I do always have to say I have 4 dc when I buy double. Boots online have a form you need to fill out, but it's always approved.

Was worse when I had two over and under 6 yo, because you had the baby and older child version. But now dc can have liquid sudafed also. I tend to always buy to keep in stock. I know but the 'no name' version at Sainsbury's, which is just under £2 a bottle.

One dc has ASD and is quite particular about her nose, so needs to be fully medicated with colds (can't cope with blocked nose). Two dc have hay fever!!!

It can all go in a couple of days with roughly 4x3 doses of 10ml every 3-4 hours!!!

imip Wed 17-May-17 22:58:18

I also have dds. Can't say I'm relishing the whole period thing! We will be swimming in pads and tampons!

Oddsocksforeveryone Thu 18-May-17 07:34:34

Thanks everyone.
@Stella my pharmacy has new staff so at the moment pretty much the only thing they'll let me buy is lollipops because I'm pregnant haha.
@imip at the moment we have medicine shelves in the kitchen and a tiny drawer in my bedroom but I think I might upgrade to a cabinet upstairs.
I've got a feeling im going to have to get some kind of system, whether it's a folder or spreadsheet to keep track on what food/medicine/supplies we have in and buy in.

nellythegoat Thu 18-May-17 09:45:49

The only thing that we have had to be careful of is not accidentally overdosing the children. If they are ill I keep a calpol sheet on the wall so you write down the name of the child and list underneath what they had and when. That way if DH comes home and I go out he knows when to give the next dose (we did have one rather scary indecent at night when we both woke at separate times in the night without the other one knowing, we each gave the same child calop! luckily it was after calpol changed the doses to a lower amount and a couple of hours apart...that needed very much not to happen again so the sheet was introduced).

I don't stress to much to be honest, the rule is to just never run out, currently we need 3 types of paracetamol in the house anyway and in the past I have been able to buy a huge bottle of infant calpol and a huge bottle of junior at the same time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now