Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant with third, aged 44. Terrified. Tell me this will be OK.

(4 Posts)
underneaththestone Thu 20-Apr-17 09:25:28

Hello everybody. I'm in a real mess. I am pregnant (planned but sort of unexpected due to my age if that makes sense) with my third. First two are 9 and 7. I always wanted three, but work, life, etc, meant it was never the right time. Last year I got accidentally pregnant and lost the baby. It sent my hormones a bit mad I think and I was desperate for another. But now that it's happened, I am utterly terrified and depressed. I am totally mortified to admit this.

Before I got pregnant I could only think of the good bits of a larger family. Now, I can only think of the bad, and keep stumbling on threads on here that talk about how hard it is, how people regret their third, etc. I am worried about my age, what other people will think/say, about the age gap with current DC, our finances, my career ... everything!

And the worst thing is because I told everybody including DH how much I wanted this, I don't feel that I can talk to anyone in real life about how I now feel I've made the very worst mistake of my life. I am past the point of no return.

Any reassurance would be so gratefully received!

FourToTheFloor Thu 20-Apr-17 15:38:05

I had this with dd2 and I'd had 2 mc and it took way longer to conceive than I thought it would.

I was depressed from about 4 weeks until maybe 24/26 weeks. It was shit and in the early days I wanted to have a mc as I thought I'd made a terrible decision going for dc2.

Once the depression finally lifted I could enjoy the pregnancy and contrary to what I thought I didn't suffer pnd when she was born.

What I'm waffling on about is trying to say it's probably just your hormones more than actually not wanting dc3.

ChaiTeaTaiChi Thu 20-Apr-17 15:43:09

I was a bit the same with my youngest (who is several years younger than the others). I really wanted to get pregnant after several losses but when I did I was scared and and really didn't want to be anymore. That didn't really resolve until the baby was born and then I was madly in love with them!
I won't tell you its not hard balancing a baby with older kids (and a toddler and teens is even worse!) but I'm so happy I did it.

underneaththestone Thu 20-Apr-17 16:24:11

Thanks so much for responding. I guess these feelings are normal. I have to keep reminding myself that 'hard' isn't necessarily terrible. I am always telling my DCs that hard things are the most rewarding - guess I need to take a piece of my own advice! I am really hoping that when I meet the baby I will have that instant love thing. At the moment I just can't imagine loving another baby and I am really worried about bonding and all I can think about is how difficult it's going to be!! Aaaaargh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now