Talk

Advanced search

Can we go swimming with 3 children? What about centreparcs?

(8 Posts)
redjumper Sun 19-Feb-17 19:33:01

I'm expecting my third child and when he's born we'll have a nearly two year old and a 4 year old. Neither can swim. I can't see how we could manage to go swimming as a family anymore but am I wrong?
Also, we normally love going to centreparcs but it would be a big downer if we couldn't go swimming. What do families with 3 under 5s do in centreparcs?

LostInMess Sun 19-Feb-17 19:50:58

Round here, the ratio is 1 adult for 2 under 8s. So DH and I can take our 4 swimming (DC are aged 9, 7, 4 and 17 months). But I can't take them on my own. Once DC2 turns 8 at the end of the year, I will be able to take them all on my own, as I'll only have 2 under 8.

We went to centerparcs with 3 and there was no problem with us both there. Also used to take them when we have 3 under 5 and it was fine - baby in inflatable seat thing and came out periodically, DC1 & 2 with rubber rings and someone nearby. Try and get your oldest used to using a shark fun float if you can, they're great because they keep their arms free so they can keep them free when out of the pool so the float stays on.

You should be fine with the 3 of them - changing room's the worst bit!!

LostInMess Sun 19-Feb-17 19:51:29

Shark fin, not fun!

TwinsPlusAnotherTwo Tue 21-Feb-17 06:48:48

Yes, check the ratios for your local pool. Ours allow 1 adult for 2 under 5s if both wear armbands. (Another adult for two 5-8yo but no arm bands needed). So you'd be ok here with 2 adults and 2 kids in armbands.
There is one pool we can't use as they require 1:1 up to age 8!

shouldwestayorshouldwego Tue 21-Feb-17 06:55:30

Swim vest/ shark float on the oldest and maybe middle child. Have similar age gap. It was only really an issue for a few years until oldest could swim. Now oldest two can go to pool without supervision and not long before younger one can too.

imip Wed 22-Feb-17 19:11:17

I have 4 born in 5 years. It is v difficult and if dh isn't around, I can't take them on my own. Speaking to teachers at local pools, they say the swimming ratio is the biggest issue stopping kids swimming. They have catholic schools that do swimming lessons and the kids are too scared to even get in the water.

It was a struggle for me until the oldest two were over 8, but most weeks when I take them swimming they have to do the 'test'

I've been to centrepsrcs in NL and the youngest had to wear floats, but generally these rules aren't enforced at private pools.

Interestingly, in Australia (where I grew up) you can swim with any number of kids but under 5s must have a wristband on them at and be at arms length.

Do put a float on some of your dc, this really helped us.

redjumper Mon 27-Feb-17 14:47:38

What would be a good flotation and for them? They are 22 months and 4 years. I'm thinking float vests for both plus a woggle?? Or maybe armbands and a woggle??
What do they do in swimming lessons for 5 year olds for example? Presumably there are no adults in the pool. How do they start with the non-swimmers?

imip Mon 27-Feb-17 18:09:09

Float vest, I'd say... we've used rings in the past. V cheap ones from re next to the dc the whole time but didn't have to hold them (all 4 with 2 adults).

All my dcs have been able to touch the floor of the pool when at swimming lessons at 5yo.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now