Talk

Advanced search

Privately renting with large family

(6 Posts)
lauramumof2 Thu 12-Jan-17 15:23:58

Hi

I'm new here!

We have 4 children and rent privately. We are not in a position to buy anywhere and probably won't ever be, due to bad credit history.

Does anyone else rent privately with a large family?.

I look around me and the very few people I know with 4+ kids own their own homes. It worries me sometimes, as we have no real stability, our landlord could want the house back anytime and it is really hard to find a 4 bed house. In our area we are not allowed to rent any smaller than this due to overcrowding..not sure if its the same everywhere.

We'd be happy in a 3 bed, but that's the rules apparently.

Sometimes I wonder if we have made things difficult for ourselves. If we only had 2 children (for example), private housing would be much more readily available. Obvious I love my children, but practical things like this affect me sometimes.

Ilovecaindingle Thu 12-Jan-17 15:46:44

We private rent with 6 kids. 5 bed house. Hb covers some of the rent and we pay the rest. We have had to move several times renting through private landlord (I own house with ex where ds lives part time so can't buy either.) I don't think it's anyone's business regarding overcrowding except if you wanted a council property.

BeauticianNotMagician81 Tue 17-Jan-17 20:02:26

We private rent with 4 children. Luckily all boys so bedrooms aren't too difficult. Ds1 12 has the downstairs study as his room, ds2 10 has the box room upstairs, ds3 3 has the middle sized room and ds4 is currently in with us but he will share with ds 3 eventually.

We are desperately trying to save a deposit to buy but it's almost impossible with four children. I'm currently deciding what to do work wise. Ds4 is 6 months old and I may go back full time to boost the savings although a huge chunk will then go on childcare. It is something that bothers me and is always on my mind.

crystalchef Wed 18-Jan-17 09:56:29

We rent privately with 4, I've never heard of the rule that you have to rent a certain sized house though, a 3 bed with massive bedrooms and a large downstairs wouldn't be overcrowded surely? and who is policing this policy and what happens if you move in with x2 DC's and then have twins...

We have a smaller place currently while I am not working, once all of the DC's are at school then that will change. We have been here a long time but when we were looking for places I asked loads of questions about the LL and made sure that we rented from an investor rather than a family that for some reason or other might want the house back in a couple of years, it seems to have worked out well enough.

NewYearNewStinkyPants Wed 18-Jan-17 10:03:15

We private rent and have 4, 3 boys and a girl. The boys have the biggest room and DD has the smallest. We can just about get our bed and a wardrobe in our room. Our house is tiny BUT it's really close to schools and shops, bus routes and my landlady is great.

I don't ever see us being able to buy our own home, well maybe when I'm in my 60's!

Afreshstartplease Tue 24-Jan-17 05:57:14

We will be buying this year but currently rent with 4 DC under 9 years (3ds 1dd) we rent a three bed and space is so so tight!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now