C sections?

(18 Posts)
TheManicMummy Mon 28-Nov-16 19:50:38

How many c sections have you had? And how many children have you got? I want a large family but I'm on pregnancy number three and the first two babies were c sections?

Thinking of trying for a VBA2C? X

MercuryRising Mon 28-Nov-16 21:09:42

I have had 3 dc by c section and am considering trying for dc4. I raised my concerns about having a 3rd c section with my midwife when I first found out I was pregnant and she reassured me in Ireland where she was from it was not uncommon for women to have 6. She was not concerned in the slightest and assured me unless I had been advised otherwise I should be fine.

My recovery was quicker after dc3 than previously although the surgeon did create a second scar due to there being a lot of scar tissue present from my previous sections. However, having said this I think I will stop after dc4 as I would not want to risk any more surgery, so can completely relate to your concerns.

Have you discussed vbac2 with a consultant?

Christine88 Mon 28-Nov-16 21:13:14

I've got 2 children and I don't think I'm finished, 1st son was elective caesarean for breech presentation and 2nd was a VBAC, I joined a vbac support group on Fb and there were woman on there successfully having vbacs after 3 or even 4 cesareans! It's all about being prepared and knowing what you can and can't change and fighting against statistics.

WordGetsAround Mon 28-Nov-16 21:17:54

3 DC, 3 sections. Last section I was advised that I had very low amount of scar tissue, surgery was easy, and absolutely no problem to go for a fourth. Recovery best so far. I would like DC4, but was intent on taking surgeons advice seriously. I've another friend who, after 2 sections, has been advised that her third should be her last. A lot seems to depend on the scarring from the previous sections.

TheManicMummy Tue 29-Nov-16 08:51:56

I vaguely remember after my DC2 that the surgeon said there was minimal scar tissue and was happy, I healed quicker with my second section.

I haven't spoke to a consultant yet as I'm just 6 weeks pregnant and haven't even informed the midwife yet - 2 children under 2 at home at the moment !

Also for midwife appointments? Are there less appointments with your third child? X

babyblabber Thu 01-Dec-16 19:18:35

I have 3 kids, 2 sections. Expecting DC4 and it will be my 3rd and final section. (Don't want more than 4 kids!)

I'm in Ireland where going private is way easier cheaper so have a good relationship with my consultant and he has asked me to consider tubal ligation as in he "really, really wouldn't want to do a fourth section and definitely wouldn't want to do a fifth" and as he put it, the risks re scar tissue and rupture increase each time.

I found the second harder to recover from than the first too so not looking forward to this one and am very glad it'll be my last.

Oh and although I'm not a midwife I work in a medical area and I've NEVER heard of someone having 6 sections here!

imip Thu 01-Dec-16 22:50:12

I have 4 surviving children and they were all born my c-section. My first dd was stillborn and she was a vaginal birth. First section was emcs for foetal distress, second because I had placenta Previa. I had cervical stitchs for the four final pregnancies also.

Doctors were happy for me to have another section, however, I was sterilised at the time (I'd had 5 dc in 6 years and 20 days and was 40yo). The record at our hospital was 8 sections. No one batted an eyelid and my pathetic 4! It's an inner London area with particularly lots of orthodox Jewish families with large families.

TheManicMummy Fri 02-Dec-16 09:08:59

8 c sections! And I was worried about having my third ... I also think I know the area and hospital that you mean. I'm a north Londoner x

imip Fri 02-Dec-16 17:45:00

smile it's always difficult to impress people with my obstetric history at my hospital!

I don't think there is any additional appointments for subsequent pregnancies. There may be past 5 pregnancies as they are generally a little riskier.

JustanotherMortificado Sun 04-Dec-16 01:04:04

I have had 7 sections!

EllenDegenerate Sun 04-Dec-16 23:55:34

I had my fourth on friday and had my tubes tied during.
Purely because i have five children now rather than simply number of sections.

AfroPunk Wed 07-Dec-16 10:42:38

I've got 3 dcs and had an assisted VB for dc1; ELCS for dc2 and an EMCS for dc3 (dc3 should have been an ELCS, but I went into labour before my scheduled date and he was breech).

The things you have to consider are your age and the number of CSections you've had. The associated risks of CS (placenta praevia, accreta, percreta) increase with each section, and as you get older. The risks are increased after the age of 35, and up to/including four is the recommended number of CSections as I've read there's quite a steep increase in risk factors on 5+.

For me, I have a 7yo, 4yo and 11wo. I'm 34yo, did not have an easy pg with DS (who is dc3) and feel our family is complete now. I know I will always feel broody though, as I adore babies, but I am not prepared to put my body through another pg, birth, recovery and the potential complications I could face if I became pg again. Then, there's all the practical stuff that 4 dcs would mean for our family... but that's a tale for another thread!

Suzietwo Sun 11-Dec-16 10:07:33

I've had 4 children and 4 sections. I had a lot of scar tissue and went private for my 4th. It took 45 mins to get to baby and I had a drain for the first time but other than that no issues. I was sterilised at the same time though as a 5th wasn't advised.

imip Sun 11-Dec-16 10:58:05

Congrats ellen flowers

Wow mortificado

yaela123 Sun 01-Jan-17 18:05:30

I have 6 kids, aged 16, 14, 10, 6, 5, 5 (DTs) so 5 pregnancies.

I had very easy pregnancies and vaginal births with the first three. DD4, however, ended in an emergency c section after being in labour for 45 hrs and baby becoming very distressed. I had to have a c section for the twins too because of the complications with previous birth and also it was twins.

No more kids for me now!

LumelaMme Sun 01-Jan-17 18:21:54

The risks do increase the more sections you have. On the one hand, I know someone who had five sections with no major issues, but I also know some who almost bled to death from placenta accreta at the end of her fourth pregnancy after 3 previous sections. It wasn't too sunny for the baby either. Luckily both mother and baby survived, but it cost the mother her uterus.

The risk is not huge, but it is worth checking out.

Foggymist Sun 01-Jan-17 23:32:36

I'm in Ireland and have never heard of more than four sections and that's highly unusual, three is the advised limit here. Six is definitely not normal here!!

spaghettihoopsagain Wed 04-Jan-17 22:03:17

Everyone is different and whilst many c sections are fine for some, it doesn't mean everyone is ok. We have 4 dc, had 3 C sections as we have twins - first c section ok though had a drain in, second still ok though took longer as had scar tissue, 3rd terrible - tons of scar tissue, took nearly 3 hours and they had to get baby out at the top of uterus (so now got 2 scars), lost lots of blood and the whole thing was quite terrifying. I think this is unusual but the risk does increase each time so it's good to be aware of that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now