Advice on having a 3rd child

(5 Posts)
Salyo Thu 26-May-16 14:13:04

My husband and I currently have two beautiful boys (DS1 2yrs 4 months, DS2 9mths).

We'd like to have one more child but before we start trying I'd like to know what it's like having 3 children. Does anyone have any advice/tips on things to consider before we try for a 3rd. Pros/cons, what is daily life like? Etc etc. Please don't hold back!

Although there are sometimes tough days and stressful days, generally I feel like things are going well right now, we're in control and we're absolutely loving our lives and being parents. I really want another child but I'd also like to get an idea of how a 3rd might effect our current lives both on a daily and long term basis.

Thanks in advance X

TheWordOfBagheera Fri 27-May-16 11:52:07

I'm not that far into being a parent of three but can say that you've mastered 1 to 2 and it's really not that different to add one more into the mix. If you wait until your youngest is about 2, then the older ones can play together while you deal with the new baby. Equally, it's tough doing the school run with a newborn, so that might be something to bear in mind in terms of timing.

Realistically it's things like not being able to get all of you in one hotel room, needing a bigger car, and the fact that holidays are now just too expensive that are the most limiting right now. You need to put a little more thought in how to make sure each child gets some quality time with each parent.

In the future (and I'm just guessing now as I'm not there yet), three teenagers will mean you will be eternally poor and the two of you will spend all you free time providing a taxi service. But again, it's not exactly that different to having two!

babyblabber Sat 28-May-16 08:07:55

I love having 3. It's all the fun of more kids but still able to manage them all myself if I need to.

3rd baby for us we defo the easiest and the older two adore her.

Practically speaking in the short term, cars are an issue coz of three car seats. We got a Peugeot 5008 coz I wanted each child to have an isofix car seat. Handy for play dates too. When they're bigger we can go back to a normal car. That's about the only thing that's different to a two kid family I think.

Do it, it's brill!

Mouthfulofquiz Sat 28-May-16 10:04:44

I'm a couple of weeks into having three (eldest is nearly 4, youngest is just turned 2) and I won't lie - it's hard work!! I have just about mastered the nursery run and there are times when it feels like there are just constant requests that I can't keep on top of!
But he is the easiest baby to look after so far! Also, my older two have started getting up earlier in the morning which is really not helpful.

Car wise - we went for a secondhand Citroen xsara Picasso and it fits the three across the back perfectly. It was very reasonably priced too. I might want a 7 seater when they are a bit older.

MauriceMoss Tue 28-Jun-16 18:28:06

I'm finding three easier than two. The big two (3 and 6) adore each other and play really nicely, so I can get stuff done for smallest one without feeling bad that one of the others is alone. Ours are very evenly spaced (3 year gap and then another 3 year gap).

I'd highly recommend a sling, so your hands are free for the others (and getting jobs done). I try to make sure that we do transitions (go to park/soft play/museum) when DS2 is due a nap - he falls asleep on the journey and it makes things easier.

We already had an MPV (S-Max) so we were fine for that. We are looking to move to a 5 bed house, though (a room each plus a playroom for the ridiculous amounts of toys). I want a utility room too, as the washing is endless!!

It does help that DS2 is possibly the easiest baby in the world (third time lucky grin)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now