Talk

Advanced search

Do you fold kids' clean laundry?

(24 Posts)
ayesar Fri 29-Apr-16 20:16:07

I currently do 2 loads of laundry with 2 kids, which I think is pretty good. But the folding drives me crazy and I hate it. I am contemplating a third child and have read over and over that the third adds like 3 more loads of laundry a week. I just can't see myself folding clothes if I'm doing laundry every day lol.

Do you neatly fold the laundry? Or if not what do you do to make the process more efficient?

LaCerbiatta Fri 29-Apr-16 20:17:58

What's the alternative to not folding?

Artandco Fri 29-Apr-16 20:21:07

What else would you do? Throw in a pile?

The best is getting kids to help fold and sort own clothes surely? From 2-3 years mine would start helping. At first just looking for matching socks etc but gradually they could do more

Knotnora Fri 29-Apr-16 20:22:54

Yes, wash, dry and fold

They take their own piles and put away. 4 DC

readingrainbow Fri 29-Apr-16 20:23:10

I sort clothes into pilrs and have them put the clothes into correct drawers. I turn a blind eye (most of the time) to the state of their clothes as they invariably cram them in. We just iron as needed so it isn't a big deal. I have bigger hills to die on.

AndNowItsSeven Fri 29-Apr-16 20:23:25

Why do you fold , don't you have hangers?

missnevermind Fri 29-Apr-16 20:27:10

There are 6 of us I have 6 baskets.
Everything is folded into the correct basket as it comes out of the dryer. The smaller kids is put straight onto hangers. Baskets are then taken to correct bedrooms and emptied ready to start again.

But no. Can't see a way around folding apart from the direct to hangers route.

FlyingScotsman Fri 29-Apr-16 20:30:24

I fold the clothes and they out them away.
Socks and pants are put directly in a bucket and they have to sort them out (as in find which ones are theirs, out socks together before putting away)

Can't see any other way than folding because .... Let's be honest it will be a long time until they learn to master the folding themselves.

marsbarmarsbar Fri 29-Apr-16 20:31:42

For my DS (18 months) I have a shelf unit with space for 4 large plastic boxes. I label them: tops, jumpers, things with legs and misc. socks and hats etc go into misc. I don't fold anything. Works a treat.

Out2pasture Fri 29-Apr-16 20:35:59

mom of 3 kids now grown up but always folded and put away by me

ThroughThickAndThin01 Fri 29-Apr-16 20:37:19

How can you not fold? Do you crumple confused

ayesar Fri 29-Apr-16 22:04:42

I was totally hoping you all would say you don't fold and just put the clothes in their respective drawers as is lol. Sometimes I just get fed up of taking clothes out of dryer, folding, putting in hamper, taking out and putting in drawers. It's so repetitive. So much like groceries. Put them in cart at the store, take them out to pay for them, put them back in bags and in cart, put in car, take out groceries again at home and put away in the fridge. Aaaah I guess I'm just weird but it bothers me.

I guess there is no alternative though other than just lying shirts or pants flat in a pile in the drawer and then choose. I don't hang any of the kids clothes as they wouldn't be able to reach them in the closet. Thanks everyone!

dedicatedfollowerofyellow Sat 30-Apr-16 08:35:34

Folding is better than ironing imo, so I fold. The washing was really getting me down (so much of it) so decided that the key was to reduce the amount of washing.

I have probably cut my washing by almost half (admittedly at it's worst I had DC3 potty training at the same time as DC4 weaning...I was knee deep!). The kids just own less clothes... stuff they really like instead of loads of 'meh' stuff, it gets washed more often and no longer gets lost in a massive pile. I also take stuff back out of the washing pile if its clean and try and get as many days out of clothes instead of blindly tidying up the 'end of day mess' by flinging everything into the washing basket.

Everyday I just have a load to do and a small pile to put away. Once a week I might have the washing machine on all day. I am a fan of the Marie Kondo decluttering book though, I read the book, got rid of masses of stuff and life got a lot easier.

Artandco Sat 30-Apr-16 09:34:22

I think key isles washing also. Make sure you aren't washing things like jumper or trousers every day if they look clean. As long as underwear and tshirts are changed daily the other things can be reworn. Especially school uniform, clean shirts and underwear, rewear jumper/ dress/ trousers if clean.
Pjamas- don't wash every day. They are getting into bed clean usually after bath/ shower so wear pjs a few nights.
Give everyone a diffenent colour towel, then only wash once a week.

Sparklycat Sat 30-Apr-16 09:40:40

I don't understand this question...folding laundry or hanging up takes no time at all really. I iron everything then fold and hang, I guess you don't iron so you're saving lots of time already!

wizzywig Sat 30-Apr-16 09:42:54

Ooh missnevermind, cracking idea!!! Im going to get some baskets. I have 3 kids and yes i fold.

wizzywig Sat 30-Apr-16 09:44:20

And iron too

Afreshstartplease Sat 30-Apr-16 18:24:47

I told for the three year old and put away too

Older two get a heap of their clothes to sort fold and put away, they are almost 7 and 8

Twopots Fri 06-May-16 18:52:57

I iron and put away everything for my 3bc 1fc and Hubby, wish I could fold and put away but my ocd couldn't cope blush

AlwaysTimeForWine Sat 07-May-16 19:56:10

I've got 3 girls and I kind of get the 'no folding' thing. They drive me MAD as I can fold their clothes and the next day they have pulled them all out of their drawers looking for 'that' particular top, and stuffed then back in, unfolded. So when I'm feeling particularly overwhelmed I make sure it's all washed and dried and they rummage through the basket for what they want until I catch up with the folding and putting away!

dementedpixie Sat 07-May-16 19:58:19

Tops, shirts, jumpers, etc are hung on hangers to be put in the wardrobe. Trousers, shorts, pjs, etc are folded and put in drawers

Notso Sat 07-May-16 20:26:55

I have 4 children. Most laundry is ironed all is folded or hung. Definitely get DC involved. My 15 and 11 year old iron and my 5 and 4 year olds hang things up.

Kikibanana86 Wed 11-May-16 14:46:44

I fpld the Marie kondo way,it's a bit of a faff to it all in the beginning but easier in the long run,they can see their clothes easier and don't pull everything out. I have 5 kids.

greybead Wed 11-May-16 14:49:36

I saw this woman on TV who had 9DC. For efficiency, she kept all their clothing in one room, which was just for clothing. Mostly it was hung up. I thought it was pretty good.

But yes you have to fold laundry otherwise how do you put it away unless hanging it up? You can't just stuff things into drawers and expect them to come out without creases.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now