Talk

Advanced search

Best age gap for baby no3?

(7 Posts)
santorina Thu 31-Mar-16 22:12:34

As you will see from my other post I am currently torturing myself over whether to try for a 3rd child.. if we were to go for it & fall lucky our littlest would be born when our daughters would be 3.5 & 5.5yrs.. what are people's thoughts on the best age gap for baby no3? Thanks for any responses :-)

Ooof35 Thu 31-Mar-16 22:16:44

IME there's no "right age gap"...so long as the baby is loved & wanted, they'll fit into whatever dynamic.

There are pros and cons with every age gap- just go for it if it's what you want- you'll make it work.

santorina Thu 31-Mar-16 22:31:08

Lol! I know you're right Ooof.. I just wondered if people found it easier to leave a gap of just over 3yrs - I just want them to grow up together & be close, but not so much that they feel baby is too much of a threat! My girls have a lovely caring yet boisterous relationship where they have started bickering as neither are quite willing to 'share' lol! I'm also thinking of the new baby as I don't want he/she to feel she is like the annoying little bro/sis who has to be dragged along everywhere by his/her sisters! I want him/her to grow up as one of the gang so I don't think I really want to leave it for the gap to get any bigger? Though I'm sure it would be easier on us all if I did ;-) x

Batladyandrose Fri 01-Apr-16 07:29:21

There was a thread a while ago (either here or on another MN board) about the pros and cons to different age gaps. I'm a fan of the small ages gap myself, I have a feeling that may bite us firmly on the bottom once they are teenagers and costing us a fortune. DC1 was nearly 6 when DC4 was born, now that she is a bit older the homework is getting harder and the after school activities more full on, it's nice to be able to ferry her about/help with school projects on more than 4 hours sleep!

OTOH I look at DC1 and 4 together and I wonder what a larger gap would have been like, only having to put on shoes, wipe bottoms, do up coats, do up seat belts for one child would have been so much easier!

Age played a part for me though and it was sensible to crack on if we wanted 4.

WordGetsAround Fri 01-Apr-16 07:38:28

So many variables to consider. I wanted 4 so have had a break of a few years after DC2. When #3 is born we'll have a just turned 6 & 4 year old. That seems ideal to me - still young, but they are both v independent - get themselves dressed / shoes & coats on etc.

If we had wanted 3 we'd probably have cracked on sooner.

santorina Fri 01-Apr-16 21:45:05

Thanks for taking the time to respond ladies! smile I'm beginning to feel more assured that the age gap might be just about right for us as a family as they'll still have things in common with one another & (hopefully!) play together, but we won't be putting ourselves under too much pressure by having them closer.. (actually getting a little excited as today is totally a 'YES' day!!!) grin

FrazzleRock Fri 01-Apr-16 21:49:19

I wanted a two year age gap, but DS1 was nearly 4 by the time DS2 was born. Shame we don't get to choose when we fall pregnant. Just start when you feel ready and your body will decide the best age gap.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now