Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Making the most of space

(11 Posts)
BeauticianNotMagician81 Mon 08-Feb-16 13:58:27

Hi I just wanted some advice on how to make the most of our space. I've included pictures to give you an idea. We are moving into this property. Our current home is lovely but despite trying various things it's just too cold.

We have 3 ds's and I'm currently pregnant with dc4. We are going to use the downstairs study for ds1 11, the upstairs box room for ds2 9 and the middle double room for ds3 2. Ds3 will share with the baby eventually.

How would you make the most of the space. Ds2 has bunk beds and we are getting ds1 an IKEA day bed. I'm thinking of IKEA stuva furniture for the small rooms. Do you think it's suitable for their ages.

imip Tue 09-Feb-16 13:53:35

I think the stuva is fine for your younger ds. We are contemplating this ATM. Dd7 is moving into our box room and we've thought about the stuva cabin bed. Tbh though, I think she is getting old. She has ASD and we are trying to maximise some relaxation/sensory space for her with the cabin bed, but she is a big 7yo, the same height as her 9yo sister. Dh disagrees with me unable to see that I am always right

Do have a good of stuva hacks and idea hacks. ESP on Pinterest, some great stuff out there at might give you some ideas on how to arrange the room with stuva, and other ikea furniture. Sadly, I'm a little addicted and have whole Pinterest boards dedicated to each dcs bedroom <whistles idly>

imip Tue 09-Feb-16 13:54:06

A Google of stuva hacks, not a good of stuva hacks, that won't work!

BeauticianNotMagician81 Tue 09-Feb-16 14:09:48

Thank you i will check out Pinterest. I found this on google image search. Obviously a much bigger room but it shows that stuva can work for older children.

imip Tue 09-Feb-16 20:10:59

It's the cabin bed I'm specifically worried about. That the novelty of climbing up will wear off quickly and she will want a 'normal' bed. There was an old thread I read about dcs getting tired of it and wanting to 'flop' onto a bed, rather than climb.

I like the bed you've posted, but wish they had it in the same colour!

BeauticianNotMagician81 Tue 09-Feb-16 20:20:30

My ds is also autistic he likes his current cabin bed but wants a lower bed. He is 11. We think it will suit him better to play the Xbox etc sitting on his bed. He likes to spend a lot of time on his own so I want a space that he feels comfortable in too smile

Nicknamegrief Tue 09-Feb-16 20:22:36

I have four and my 12 and 10 year old share. They have the box room as a bedroom (bunks) and then the downstairs 'study' is a chill out room with them in mind. At the moment it is more Lego oriented with shelves, drawers and a table.
The aim is to put in a sofa, tv and desk(s) for homework that means they have space as teenagers.
I just personally didn't like the idea of my PFB not being on the same floor as us.
I know that this wasn't really what you were asking about but thought you may not have considered this as an option.

BeauticianNotMagician81 Tue 09-Feb-16 20:22:45

We are now looking at the Flaxa bed with the separate headboard.

imip Wed 10-Feb-16 06:32:35

*beautician' at what age did your ds go off the cabin bed?

BeauticianNotMagician81 Wed 10-Feb-16 07:46:45

He's only been in it for 6 months. He hasn't liked it from the start.

imip Wed 10-Feb-16 09:28:06

Yeah, that's my concern. She's got lots of OCD traits, it was seriously considered as a diagnosis, and she really hoards. So a cabin bed or a bed with integral draws underneath are ideal...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now