Talk

Advanced search

Work and 4 children

(8 Posts)
BeauticianNotMagician81 Sat 06-Feb-16 17:13:21

I am just after some advice re working with a larger family.

I am due baby number 4 in July. I currently work in a salon on a self employed basis. I pay for 3 children in childcare at present. My eldest two are at school so it's just after school care. My youngest ds3 is in nursery a couple of days a week and with the childminder a couple of days. Childcare costs almost knock out my pay but I make a bit. Luckily DH is on a reasonable wage.

I'm just not sure what to do when dc4 arrives. Work want me to go back after 3 months for a couple of days a week. I'm just not sure this is feasible. We have done the sums and yes maternity allowance isn't much but it's money in the bank that we won't have to pay for childcare out of. If I go back I think I will be effectively paying to go to work. Should I maybe look for an employed job instead of self employment when I go back. What do you all do?

etttvatre Sat 06-Feb-16 17:15:29

If I wanted to go back I'd ask my DH to take parental leave rather than paying for childcare.

Otherwise I'd stay at home with the DC's a bit longer.

BeauticianNotMagician81 Sat 06-Feb-16 17:18:41

I do want to go back. I'm just not sure whether to take my full 9-12 months this time. By which time ds3 would be due to start school anyway.

Tsotofamily Sun 07-Feb-16 09:45:27

I would take the whole 9 months. I'm due in July also and I'm not going to be going back until after the 9 months. Like you said it will probably work out that your paying to work so why not enjoy some time off with the baby and with dc3 before they start school x

BeauticianNotMagician81 Sun 07-Feb-16 10:16:56

Congratulations Tsoto were you on the July thread? I recognise your mn name from somewhere.

That's a good point I didn't think about the extra time I could be spending with ds3 as well. It would be nice to enjoy a summer with all 4 and then enjoy the run up to Christmas. I used to have time to do things with the older two even though I worked full time but I don't seem to get that time with ds3.

Tsotofamily Sun 07-Feb-16 13:39:29

Yes I think I was.
I'm looking forward to having the whole summer with mine and dc3 is starting school this september so will be nice to fully be around for her settling in period

BackforGood Sun 07-Feb-16 13:52:55

You say you work in a salon, so I'm presuming hairdressing or beautician?

Why not suggest working 2 evenings a week, or maybe a couple of evenings and one da at the weekend ?

- keep your client base
- be offering something that other local salons might not be (time for appts when your customers aren't at work)
- no childcare costs as your dh can be doing the parenting while you are at work

or

(if a hairdresser or nail technician or something rather than a person who needs more space for tanning beds or massage beds) ... work from home ?

tricky I know when lo is a baby, but I know someone who managed to work around it quite well - with a play pen!

BeauticianNotMagician81 Mon 08-Feb-16 10:06:26

Backforgood Im a beauty therapist. I have thought about working from home for a while to see how it goes. Unfortunately evening work is out as DH often works away and all childminders/nurseries around here finish at 6.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now