Why do people think they have a right to know???

(8 Posts)
SnarkintheDark Sat 16-Jan-16 10:39:24

All about your personal business, just because you have a large family??
Strangers ask me personal stuff all the time and seem to think it's perfectly in their right to do so!
Stuff like
Have they all got the same dad? No they don't, not that it matters.
Do you work? Yes I do and I run my own business, not that it matters
Are you In a religious group? Well I'm catholic, not that it's relevant
Are you married then? Yes, but that not relevant either
When's he getting the snip, haven't you had enough now? Wtf makes anyone think this is ok to say on the bus/ in supermarket/ wherever!!!!
I'm sorry to rant but I'm just so so sick of it.
Does anyone else get asked personal and/ or stupid shit purely because you are a mother of many??

NNalreadyinuse Sat 16-Jan-16 10:43:32

Agree. People are often inappropriately nosey and quite rude.

People seem to think it is perfectly reasonable to ask if your pg was planned. To me, that is such a personal thing to ask.

Us Brits are funny - we consider it impolite to ask someone how much money they earn but talking about a virtual stranger's sex life is seen as okay.

sugarplumfairy28 Sat 16-Jan-16 16:08:16

I think there seems to be some kind of assumption that if a person has more than 2 or 3 children, they must be claiming benefits and not working, apparently when a person claims benefits there business is no longer private and they must justify themselves to those who work.

I had to admit I know a lady with 10 children, actually she was an old neighbour, and the thought did cross my mind, how the hell can you afford 10 children, but I had the added knowledge that she didn't work, but I would never dream of asking her outright. Also a girl my husband went to school with whose son was then in our son's class at school, she was a guardian for her sister's children for some reason, and she would regularly get abused by strangers thinking all the children were hers.

Lovehearts30 Tue 09-Feb-16 21:15:22

I have 4 and have had all of the above but my personal favourite is "are you buying a tv now?"
I get a lot of comments about the not working being a sahm but dh works and works very hard so that I can be at home we don't get any benefits at all.

I've learnt to just ignore people if they have that little to do with their time that they can worry about how many children someone else has then they must lead a pretty boring life.

Alasalas Thu 11-Feb-16 01:06:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Alasalas Thu 11-Feb-16 09:41:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FATEdestiny Thu 11-Feb-16 09:58:10

I've got four children, no one has ever asked me these sorts of questions.

I occasionally get asked an "Are you done now?" kind of question. I think people get that question even with just 2 children, in the same way that parents of only's get asked when they are having another child.

When I had two I used to say "No, I want four". When I had three I would say the same. Now most people who know me already know the answer - I've always wanted four and now we have four children I am done.

I cant recall any other rude or inappropriate questions ever being asked.

ooosaidooo Thu 11-Feb-16 15:58:44

I also occasionally get asked if we are having anymore, but not in a negative way.

Once I was asked if they all had the same father, I was like 'really?? you need to ask that?'...they are all like peas in a pod and clearly from the same gene pool!

I find it worse when my friends with 1DC are asked if they are having anymore or get the 'oh you were sensible and stopped at one' comment, a few of them would love another but can't.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now