Talk

Advanced search

45 is just to old to have a baby - isn't it?

(10 Posts)
onlyoranges Thu 05-Nov-15 08:15:20

I thought for ages about having a baby at just 40 and thought that was probably my cut off. But went ahead and everything went great. Now 5 years later its too late now isn't it??

yeOldeTrout Thu 05-Nov-15 08:21:17

I presume you're not a man or you wouldn't even be asking. What does your partner think? It's your decision.

originalmavis Thu 05-Nov-15 08:24:20

If you're for and healthy, why not? I'm too knackered and clapped out but some people will be fine with the sleepless nights, varicose veins, indigestion, never ending laundry, UN duties at the under 3s...

ALaughAMinute Thu 05-Nov-15 08:24:26

I don't think it's too late but of course it depends on how fertile you are. My friend had IVF twins at 45 and some women have children a lot later. Good luck on whatever you decide.

patterkiller Thu 05-Nov-15 08:25:51

Of course not, however will you be able to cope with a teen at 60. I'm struggling at 45. DBil has a four year old at 49 he is finding it very trying to say the least.

Soveryupset Fri 06-Nov-15 10:13:17

It's not ideal, but better than regretting it later perhaps? My SIL is having her first at 44 and plans to have another in 2 or 3 years' time...

It's not ideal having teenagers in your 60s, but having a youthful and flexible outlook is probably key here.

onlyoranges Fri 06-Nov-15 19:58:20

Thanks everyone for so much positivity. Fantastic point yeoldtrout! My dh is very keen as he has been with all our others. I have always been lucky to be fertile, my last two were conceived the first time we tried (tracked when I was ovulating) If it was our first it wouldn't be something I think I would do. I do love the thought of spending my whole life with family eg teens in later life. I think the age of women having babies is going up and up isn't it. Wonder who has had a baby the latest on MN?

yeOldeTrout Fri 06-Nov-15 21:27:45

Personally I wouldn't TTC at 45, mind, I ran out of oomph for my kids by then, but that's not what you asked smile.
Good luck whatever your decision may be.

SummerHouse Fri 06-Nov-15 21:30:14

Its just a number. Good luck and happiness to you whatever you decide. flowers

loveandsmiles Wed 11-Nov-15 13:05:22

I am 48 and my youngest is 14 weekssmile You won't regret having another one if that's what you want but you will regret not trying - good luck whatever you decide. It's not for everyone - most of my friends think I'm mad, but it's what we want.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now