Talk

Advanced search

3rd child and maternity leave worries

(15 Posts)
Chickenandpenguin Tue 16-Dec-14 13:00:34

Hi all
Long time lurker and first time poster. I know three children isn't really a large family but there's no medium sized family topic area so please bear with me smile
We currently have two children, 2.11 and 1yr6 months. I'd love to have three and ideally get pregnant soon. However, one of my many concerns would be how my employer would feel about a third maternity leave so close to my last two. I'm a teacher and have worked for same employer for 7 years. I know they couldn't Fire me for it, but I'm worried they'd find some way of getting rid of me! Or that I wouldnt be entitled to any maternity pay . Or am I just being ridiculous?! Anyone any experience of multiple mat leaves at same job?

imip Wed 17-Dec-14 18:15:19

Chicken, try your post under The Staffroom also, may be teachers in the same position...

Chickenandpenguin Wed 17-Dec-14 19:14:24

Thanks Imip will do smile

SophieBarringtonWard Wed 17-Dec-14 20:23:45

I don't see why you wouldn't be entitled to your maternity pay. The policies are the same regardless of what number pregnancy you are on!

Greengrow Wed 17-Dec-14 20:51:56

You could do what I did with all 5 - work until in labour and then use two weeks of annual leave and go back full time. There is no law which says you have to take long and regular maternity leaves. It worked out really well for us.

SophieBarringtonWard Wed 17-Dec-14 21:27:26

btw your post reminded me, a friend who worked in India (for an Indian charity) did have a contract that specified less maternity pay for each pregnancy, and none at all for a 4th or subsequent pregnancy! Part of trying to reduce the birthrate I suppose.

Viviennemary Wed 17-Dec-14 21:31:23

The law is the law and you can't be refused maternity leave. But it's quite common for colleagues to have a moan about this in private. However, I couldn't even begin to think about working as a teacher with three such small children. But everyone is different.

Chickenandpenguin Wed 17-Dec-14 21:32:55

I thinki have got the same entitlement Sophie but just feel like I'd be pushing my luck somehow...i don't know anyone with a larger than two child family who worked whilst having chn or stayed at the same school. I worry that id be allowed to but hugely frowned on and somehow forced out. I couldn't do that greenhow, our nursery only takes from 4 months plus and we've no other childcare options. I'm also not entitled to annual leave as I'm a teacher. Good holidays obviously.

TheRealMaryMillington Wed 17-Dec-14 21:36:30

You could always let your OH take the parental leave this time? see here?

Though I concur that teaching with 3 small kids would be a tough gig. Your partner would have to have very flexible working arrangements IMO.

Chickenandpenguin Wed 17-Dec-14 21:38:42

My husband is very involved Vivienne which helps a lot, and I only work three days a week which also makes a huge difference. I am worried that I'm being naive in thinking we'd cope though , job worries aside.

Greengrow Wed 17-Dec-14 21:39:45

We found a full time daily nanny from 3 weeks was cheaper than 3 nursery places by the way.

Viviennemary Wed 17-Dec-14 21:41:13

Three days a week isn't too bad. I didn't mean to be so negative but just wondered how anybody would cope full time! And people moan for all sorts of reasons about people being off sick and so on as you will know. In the end you have to do what's best for you and your family. You can't live your life to suit other people. Hope things work out.

littlesupersparks Wed 17-Dec-14 21:41:17

I'm a teacher in my 3rd pregnancy.
It's twins! I have a 4yo and a 2yo. Really I know my school don't want to lose me so I'm not too worried. I work 3 days a week and I think it will be one going back. I would say I am pretty confident this is my last pregnancy and although I may see if I can work 2 days when I go back for a couple of years. It's a lot easier now my eldest is at school but I will have 4 kids 5 and under...

Chickenandpenguin Thu 18-Dec-14 07:20:05

I don't think you were being negative, just more realistic than me I expect!
Wow twins, congrats! I have wondered if I'd need to cut my hours, I'm fairly positive my school like having me as a teacher and would try to keep me. They've been very supportive so far. I hope I don't get twins, no offence intended. I think 4 would tip me over the edge!

MrsApps3 Sat 20-Dec-14 19:29:06

I am a teacher and I just had my third on tuesday! Work were fine with it to my face although Im sure there might have been things said behind my back. So for me I was off dec 09- sept 10, then off July 11-sept 12 (worked very well around holidays!), then I went on maternity leave this time after half term. I plan to have a year off again and if finances are ok may not return to work, so I'm just taking stat maternity pay this time but retaining the option to return. I'm not sure what they will do with me, if I return as I used to job share, but my other half has gone back to full time.
I would just go for it, I must admit I dreaded telling them, but they were ok about it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now