Talk

Advanced search

Sorry - laundry again

(11 Posts)
Redorwhitejusthaveboth Tue 04-Nov-14 22:39:48

Sorry - I saw the laundry thread (wanting a family closet) but I don't need 2 machines. I'm pretty set up with a small utility room with a washer and a tumble drier in plus a clothes horse for non tumble stuff. My issue is what happens after its dry... Currently I have an ironing basket (small) and then everything seems to pile up. I find putting it away such a pain! I've started sitting at the top and f the stairs and making spike outside each child's door. That then seems to stay there for days.please help me find a quicker, easier more streamlined way of sorting this...
Not sure if relevant but I have 3 boys age 11,6,5 and a baby age 6 months...

mrsbee2be Wed 05-Nov-14 08:45:32

I made DD 14 the official 'socks & pants & towels' monitor when she was around 10, everything that's underwear or towels or cloths, goes in a big tub and she has to empty & put away every other day when she gets in from school..... On the deal that she gets paid in exchange....she's also the dishwasher monitor too (twice daily-ish) if the jobs don't get done she doesn't get paid!
I love delegating!

imip Thu 06-Nov-14 13:47:49

There is a thread somewhere here, larger families or good housekeeping, about how housekeeping cheats - something along those lines.

I remember being quite taken by a poster with a big family who had a load of wire basket draws. Dcs brought down dirty clothes in wire basket draws, clothes were folded back into wire basket draws and then dcs put wire baskets away. It was sheer genius and cut out all the piles of clothes/folding.

It would probably mean a utility with this draw set up, and probably an investment, but just amazing!

imip Thu 06-Nov-14 13:49:18

Oh, I should clarify, clothes folded straight from drying - so no sitting around in baskets etc <narrows eyes at folded laundry in living room>

5ChildrenAndIt Thu 06-Nov-14 13:54:02

We have a narrow basket for each family member.

The baskets sit on a shelf in the utility room. Clothes from tumble dryer immediately get put in the correct basket. sod ironing . Once a week kids have to take baskets upstairs & put them away (they do 2 each - which means me, DH & baby also get done).

Uniforms & work shirts have a separate laundry bag - which I send out to an ironing lady once a week.

Socks and towels have a separate basket (I store all socks downstairs near shoes - so they don't need sorting).

imip Thu 06-Nov-14 18:03:08

Perfect, 5children

Redorwhitejusthaveboth Thu 06-Nov-14 23:13:21

Thank yougrin

accessorizequeen Mon 10-Nov-14 21:08:08

I second getting dc involved in the sorting. At present, I do it all on our bed, usually 2-3 baskets worth at a time. I just sort in piles (or get one of the dc to do it), then immediately put the piles in the relevant bedroom on top of the drawers. I have 4 dc - nearly 11, 8, and 6yo dts. The older 2 put their own clothes away and I'm training up the other 2 but dp or I sort it at bedtime mostly. If there is mess it's in their rooms, which doesn't bother me as much! Baskets may make it simpler but haven't got round to it.

AgentAlice Mon 10-Nov-14 22:30:18

In our house as soon as the clean washing is dry it gets put in a laundry bin in each bedroom, DD puts hers away once a week.

I go into the boys room with them once the bin is full and hand out little piles which they put away.

Stuff very rarely gets ironed.

Sothisishowitfeels Tue 11-Nov-14 20:17:12

I take it all upstairs in a bucket sort it into piles and then put it away as soon as its dry. I hate it tbh but there's not much getting around IT!

Tsotofamily Mon 08-Jun-15 20:54:31

As soon as laundry is washed and dry, I fold and put it in piles on my bed then kids put there's away

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now