Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Weekly shopping (everything not just food) for family of 6?

(13 Posts)
StealthToddler Tue 11-Feb-14 09:37:43

There are a lot of threads about how much do you spend on FOOD per week. I have 4ds aged 6, 4, 2 and 10 months. 1 in nappies and 1 in night time nappies only.
Am interested if anyone is willing to share what they spend for a similar family size in total in a week I.e food, toiletries, nappies, cleaning stuff, loo roll etc....
An trying to keep my budget down by buying offers etc, I use ocado which price matches tesco but I often get the own brand which is cheaper. I live miles away from a lidl or aldi etc as am quite country. I use farm shops for some meat where it is actually cheaper.
I usually come in about £150/week all in.
What about others here?

NAR4 Tue 11-Feb-14 14:10:22

I have 5dc, but 3 are hungry teenage boys. We spend roughly £100-£150 a WK on everything. I keep costs down by doing things like turning left overs into bubble and squeek, using meat bones to make soup and adding lentils to stew and shepherds pie. I also cook lots of fairy cakes, biscuits and general nibbles to tide over the older dcs between meal times.

notso Tue 11-Feb-14 14:24:23

Two adults, 13, 9,3 and nearly 2 yo. One in nappies one in night nappies.
Generally spend between £90 and £130 a week. Sometimes I can get it in at under £90 but only if I have stocked up on things like laundry stuff, loo roll etc when on offer.
This week for example I have only spent £46 and will only need a small butter, milk, bread top up shop and £15 dinner money.
I buy a massive sack of spuds from the farm shop for £6, they last us a month.
My butchers does fantastic quality steak mince 5lb for £12.50 that lasts ages.

Jinty16 Tue 11-Feb-14 19:19:48

We spend about £90-£100 a week. We have 4dc similar ages to yours OP. 2 in nappies. Youngest is newborn and breast fed so it doesn't cost us anything to feed her yet! I do most of the shopping online at asda, meat comes from the butcher.

StealthToddler Tue 11-Feb-14 20:27:25

NAR4 I think baking more would be a good idea. I used to bake loads but have found it hard to do so with the boys all so little. I do cook meals from scratch and use leftovers, make own stock etc. but I have been buying a lot of things like Ella's smoothies and fruit bars which thinking about it are pushing the cost up.

NAR4 Tue 11-Feb-14 23:11:04

I do a lot of my cooking in bulk at the weekend so my dh can help with the children while I cook.

Ghostsdonttalk Tue 11-Feb-14 23:16:04

I have 4 Dc no nappies but 2 cats and a dog. I get all delivered from Tesco as we are miles from anywhere. Comes in about £150 per week. All 4 kids take school dinners so thats another £40 per week.

LoveUall Tue 11-Feb-14 23:36:29

We spend about 1oo per week on big shop but that's not including toiletries and cleaning stuff etc, we tend to buy them from poundshop, home bargains on a need basis so guessing we spend around 12o a week

QueenofKelsingra Wed 12-Feb-14 09:32:58

I have a budget of £450 per month for all food and household related stuff and ad hoc bits of clothing. DH, me, 3 pre-school DC (who eat like teenagers!!). 2 in nappies, 1 in night time nappies. it is tight but I could cut a few more corners if I wanted to (we own brand shop but could value buy to save more).

I cook mostly from scratch, bulk cook and freeze, leftovers all used up. I try to buy in bulk offers where I can. its the amount of fruit my guys go through that sends my costs up! (and DS1's love of cherries which cost a bomb!)

anklebitersmum Wed 12-Feb-14 10:01:18

I have no idea what we spend per week because we travel and buy bulk when the household-type stuff is cheap. Lidl had 24 packs of loo roll cheap recently so we travelled and stocked up on that, tins and spaghetti and as Tesco had washing detergent at £1 per litre and conditioner very cheap we again have a small mountain in the utility room. Cheese at under fiver for extra mature cheddar? I'm in for 2 blocks at 2.5kg each blush

We do the same with meat (I have a maximum willing to pay price per kilo for everything), which goes in the outside freezer and buy veg in massive quantities, which we then hessian bag and keep in the outside shed. As a result we really only buy fruit, milk, yoghurt and oddments weekly and as I cook from scratch the store cupboard bits just get replenished as required.

imip Wed 12-Feb-14 10:26:09

My costs are confusing as I would buy birthday presents etc in my weekly shop with ocado, or if I shop at our big sainsburys. I'd guess that we'd average about 150-170 pw on food. We do packed lunch here, cook from scratch etc etc.

That's dh, me, 4 dds 7, 5, 3 and 2. All humongous eaters! This would include everything, no top ups. It would exclude 1 full time in nappies, 4 pints of milk delivered by the milk man and the occasional naice bread. I may average two loaves of bread outside that shop per week as sour dough bread is my weakness....

I'm very fussy about meat, it must be organic; and household cleaners/detergents must be environmentally friendly - all dds suffer with eczema.

I'm not fussy about the brand I buy, but I do look out for specials. I buy expensive tomatoes because my kids eat it by the bucket load. We grow them in summer. I buy in bulk when discounted eg, toilet paper or household cleaners. So some weeks my shop may be more expensive, but others it will be much cheaper.

Sometimes I think we are going to drown in toilet paper, then two weeks later we are down to one roll confused

QueenofKelsingra Wed 12-Feb-14 10:45:29

like imip my budget also includes birthday presents and cards for people.

MultipleMama Fri 14-Feb-14 16:24:49

We budget around £450 a month on food.

Youngest 4 are in cloth night time pull ups/gdiapers.

The main products we buy a month are; fruit, veg, coconut milk, almound milk, semi skimmed milk, pasta, sauces (i.e curry, pasta), bread ingrediants, organic baby products (online), TOTs flushables, toilet roll, bottle strealizer... and then anything that's really needed. I plan meals weekly so I know which ingrediants to buy so we don't waste.

Toiltries are bought online too as they're cheaper and we buy only certain brands.

We try to budget doesn't always work!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now