Talk

Advanced search

TV in older kids rooms?

(7 Posts)
LizinFrance Fri 09-Sep-11 09:05:44

Hi there,

I dont post on here very much, but am after your thoughts please. I have 2 older kids, 12 and 10, and 2 younger ones, 4 and 18 months. At the mo we have one TV in the lounge, and kids tend to crash out in front of it after school for 30 mins/hour while I get dinner ready etc etc.... But the older 2 are getting a bit fed up of CBeebies - which i guess I can understand, but I wont let them watch stuff that is too old for the younger 2.

I have always been dead set against a TV in their rooms, but am wondering if I need to change my way of thinking. What do others do if there is a bit of an age gap?

Cheers,

Liz

Pang Fri 09-Sep-11 11:17:25

That's a hard one with the age gap. But I think TVs in bedrooms are the kiss of death to family life. Also it is hard to control at night.
Is it possible for the older ones to have access to the computer to watch somehing on iplayer or miniclips etc while you cook and the littlies have CBeebies. Or maybe the older ones could help you prep for dinner while telling you about their day (Mine enjoy this sometimes but sometimes they just want to zone out on the sofa watching CBeebies - even at 12 years.)

mumeeee Wed 14-Sep-11 19:04:00

Our children didn't have a T V in their rooms until they were teenagers. Oldest one had one at 17 the youngest was 14 as she had her sisters old one,

whenIgetto3 Thu 15-Sep-11 10:57:56

Do you have another room, rather than the bedroom a tv could go in? How about putting one in your bedroom, we have one in ours and when the older ones want to watch something the younger ones aren't allowed we send the older ones (who supposedly can be trusted)grin into our room to watch. Then there is no issue with tv being sneaked on in the middle of the night etc

LizinFrance Thu 15-Sep-11 11:44:13

Hi there,

Thanks for your replies. What a good idea - a tv in another room rather than their bedrooms. Never liked the idea of one in their rooms, and that will solve a problem, without creating lots of others! I live in France, and I cant seem to get iplayer here. That would have been a good solution too. Thanks,

Liz

whenIgetto3 Thu 15-Sep-11 12:11:00

Liz have you tried Uknova ? You can download UK tv programs through it, you have to be a member (it's free) and then you can download stuff, you have to upload too but it doesn't affect your speed, takes a bit of careful rule reading to fully understand but we used it for everything when in the USA for 2 years, kids missed CBBC

MUM2BLESS Fri 16-Sep-11 19:31:33

I agree with whenIgetto3 about having one in another room rather than in bedroom. We have one in our main living room and another in a spare room downstairs. Kids can play their games etc on it.

We are not keen on tvs in bedrooms. We do not have one in ours at present.

If there is a tv in the kids room would we see them much?

We have the computer in the living room too, not in bedrooms. We do however have a laptop also.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now