Talk

Advanced search

The Duggars (20 kids and debt free)!!

(11 Posts)
slipperandpjsmum Sun 28-Aug-11 15:39:56

After watching the Duggars on Sky I have just been looking at one of their books on Amazon. Reading the info it says they are debt free.

I am about to order the book but wondered if anyone knows how they live their life without any debt? Including the fact they have an enormous house and no mortgage! I have 4 and can't manage it.

DooinMeCleanin Sun 28-Aug-11 15:41:06

They sell their private family life to anyone willing to pay the highest price?

Tinkerisdead Sun 28-Aug-11 15:42:07

Google them, they have a website and tell you loads about how they live debt free, have buddies for each child etc. They have more than 20 kids now.

thinbridewaitingtogetout Sun 28-Aug-11 15:43:28

I think they started off in property and thats how they made there money. Love the Duggers.

whenIgetto3 Sun 28-Aug-11 17:05:56

they are debt free because they have several businesses, recycle a lot through their own family and shop at thrift stores. They own property and car businesses and they also built their own home. Having lived in the USA for 2 years I can see it would be easier to be debt free there, places are a lot cheaper (especially in Arkansas where they live). We found ourselves feeling rich whilst we were there grin

slipperandpjsmum Thu 01-Sep-11 20:08:10

I think I may move whenIgetto!!

lachesis Thu 01-Sep-11 20:10:41

They are debt free because they don't pay tax! Their home is a church and as such it tax-exempt.

deemented Thu 01-Sep-11 20:13:45

They are debt free because the TV company paid for their house to be built, they sell themselves and their offspring - i would say children, but that would imply they had happy normal childhoods, and that's blatantly not the case.

Oh and they have declared themseles as a church or a religion or somesuch.

juuule Fri 02-Sep-11 15:06:56

"that would imply they had happy normal childhoods, and that's blatantly not the case."

Their children's childhood's are different to my children's but they don't look that unhappy to me. I don't know them personally so wouldn't know but from watching some of their programmes/interviews etc they seem to have a pretty good life.

deemented Fri 02-Sep-11 15:13:05

They probably don't look unhappy because one of their many rules is that everyone must look 'Joyus' at all times, even if they aren't feeling particularly joyus.

I don't know, i think theres something very wrong when a mother farms out her youngest at six months to an older child 'helper' and then goes on to pop even more out. I think the fact that in the boys bedroom, they have a slide that goes down to the playroom, and in the girls bedroom the slide goes down to the laundry room says it all really.

I think it's incredily sad for all the children concerned.

juuule Fri 02-Sep-11 16:21:01

Not sure about the slide thing (I must only have seen the boys and I thought that was for all of them). And I wouldn't put it past children of either sex to be trying the other side's slidegrin

But I've seen them pitching in building the house, trekking across the country, horse-riding, music lessons... - things my children haven't experienced (and are unlikely to as children). So, from that perspective they seem to have been given lots of opportunities. And if they all have to contribute in some way to the running/upkeep of the home isn't that a good thing, teaching responsibility and what is involved in running a home(including financially)? The allocation of babies to the girls is an alien idea to me, too, but it seems to work for them. How happy or unhappy any of them are with the situation, I've no idea. We'll probably only find out about that as they get older (maybe some of them will write books about it and "spill the beans"wink who knows?)

But on the face of it, they do seem to be having quite a decent life albeit different to what I'm used to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now