Talk

Advanced search

What were the best presents you were given for a(nother!!) new baby in a big family?

(17 Posts)
OliviaMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 24-Aug-11 22:18:44

or what should I buy for
My fab sister is imminently expecting DC6. (she has both sexes)
DC5 was born before I had DCs and I really understood motherhood iykwim
Her life is already kerrazy busy (!) but I want to get her something fab on arrival of the babe.
What have been your best presents? Have a healthy ish budget as fear I may have not done her justice the last erm five times blush
TIA

nevergoogle Wed 24-Aug-11 22:22:09

earplugs?

nevergoogle Wed 24-Aug-11 22:22:28

valium?

PaulaYatesBiggesFan Wed 24-Aug-11 22:23:12

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

PaulaYatesBiggesFan Wed 24-Aug-11 22:24:10

yellowsubmarine41 Wed 24-Aug-11 22:24:29

Alcohol. Seriously, a special bottle of champagne they can toast the new little one with and save the cork.

And a tasteful card they'll like having around and to keep as I bet not many people bother sending cards for no 6!

Fuzzywood Wed 24-Aug-11 22:24:36

Wow 6 DC, I'm knackered with 2, well done to your sister. Anyway, I digress. My favourite presents for my two, first completely not useful was a gooseberry bush, all babies are found under them apparently smile. For DS from DH's work we got what looked like a bunch of flowers but was in fact socks, vests ECG made to look like a bouquet,) cute and useful. Link here www.babyblooms.co.uk/baby-clothes-bouquets.html

PaulaYatesBiggestFan Wed 24-Aug-11 22:31:15

PaulaYatesBiggestFan Wed 24-Aug-11 22:35:00

5GoMadOnAZ650 Wed 24-Aug-11 22:39:05

Do you live close to her? How about some homemade vouchers to be exchanged for an hour babysitting? It's only now that dd4 is nearly three that we get a break from them all at the same time and it feels great!

OliviaMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 24-Aug-11 22:43:57

PMSL at earplugs/valium.

Thanks for all of these - all vg.
Maybe a hamper filled with all that kind of thing??

5gomad not close enough to baby sit sad but she usually has an AP during termtimes so they get out and about often enough.

Please keep them coming!

NotJustKangaskhan Wed 24-Aug-11 23:24:24

Ask her if she needs anything new/replaced for this baby? (After 3 kids, my baby carrier was all frayed and had to be replaced, She may have similar items she has reused and needs replacing either baby related or generally for the house).

Something fun that the family can easily do at home around baby (like a gift certificate for LoveFilms or another rental place) or to celebrate them as a family some time when the baby is a bit older (like gift certificate for a photo session and prints/CD - this one has always been one of my favs as I love photos of the familys and photos of the kids is what most of the older family members ask for - it's a win win).

If you can, try to find something individual for each. As a big group, we tend to be thought of as a big group, but it is really nice when people take the time to find something that each one likes (rather than another pile of colouring books that screams 'because kids like colouring books' - we've gotten quite a few lately which is why I'm making the point). A hamper is a good idea - special new items for the new baby, and something individual for the other members of the family, you can use it to make a big fuss over everyone & make the new arrival really special.

pearlgirl Fri 26-Aug-11 20:22:48

The best things we were given when ds4 arrived were home cooked meals - some of our lovely friends all provided meals for our freezer and it was such a treat. Other friends really thoughtfully gave ds4 the sort of baby clothes I would look at but never buy as I felt I couldn't justify it - so they treated him instead.

PaulaYatesBiggestFan Fri 26-Aug-11 21:27:41

PorkChopSter Fri 26-Aug-11 22:03:45

Cook vouchers?

There's bound to be something that has worn out by now, clothes or equipment.

Chocolates, magazines (something to read one handed), something to distract all the other kids smile

Pinot Tue 30-Aug-11 09:48:38

A voucher for a spa treatment?

Cook vouchers are a great idea, spesh the Tikka Masala <yummo>

ilovemydogandMrObama Tue 30-Aug-11 09:59:46

What about a cleaner?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now