Talk

Advanced search

4 under 6. Help, pls tell me all :)

(17 Posts)
threecurrantbuns Sun 14-Aug-11 21:46:36

I have just found out I'm expecting dc4 I'm very excited and also having moments where I feel terrified...life was tough with 3 under 4, and going to three was a jump for me although I think I found it harder as it was a bit premature.

Don't get me wrong I am soo excited but any heads up would be massively appreciated. Thanks in advance.

nicobean Mon 15-Aug-11 16:22:13

ooh, goodie, I get to be first to say congratulations!!!

Can't give you any practical advice, but am looking forward to reading all about it as I hope to be in your position one day grin

Best of luck with the pregnancy!

3kidsnobump Mon 15-Aug-11 20:55:40

Well don't think I can give any advice as DC4 is only 3 days old...but I am in the same position as my oldest was 5 in June.

Too early to tell how crazy life will be with the 4 of them....hopefully someone will come along soon and say it is possible to survive it!

Oh and congratulations...I always wanted more than just 'a couple' of children, and I'm sure we will muddle through it somehow!

tallulah Mon 15-Aug-11 21:07:17

We had 4 under 6 (when DC4 was born the others were 5.5, 4 & 2). TBH I don't really remember much about it, except it was hard work grin

I think the worst bit actually was multiple exam candidates.. Y9 SATs, Y11 GCSEs & Y13 A levels all at once twice. The stress!!!!!

The good thing is that when they are all the same age they all want to do the same thing. Mine are grown up now and get on really well. Altho separated geographically they call/text each other frequently.

lollystix Mon 15-Aug-11 21:38:08

I'm in your boat. Ds4 due in 10 weeks. Eldest will be 5 and 2 months. I just anticipate more if the same tbh. Eldest quite self sufficient - bit I worry about is the actual one on one time I'll be able to devote to each but I console myself that people I meet who were one of 4 only really have positive things to say about their childhood

threecurrantbuns Mon 15-Aug-11 22:26:53

Glad to hear some others are in the same boat, please keep me posted your,ahead so maybe able to offer tips. I'm so excited only just found out and finding it so hard not to sing it from the roof topssmilereally can't see me holding it in until the scan but don't want to tempt fate. Have been so lucky the first three were text book pregnancies and labours almost feel I'm pushing my luck.

Nihilisticbunny Tue 16-Aug-11 00:25:04

Ooh congrats ,I have 3, but no broody tendencies at all atm, I can't imagine 4 is that much different from 3, you already have the not enough arms/time experience, so what is one more. There is a lady at school who has 5 quite close together, she seems really calm and in control, and her children are lovely, so it can be done, good luck.

threecurrantbuns Tue 16-Aug-11 20:28:00

I hope your right although I know someone who has four and didn't think it would be much difference butt she found it the biggest jump eek!

whenIgetto3 Wed 17-Aug-11 14:40:41

I have 4DCs DD10,DS8,DS7,DD4 and I personally found the 1 to 2 jump to be the hardest, adding on number 4 was not that much more hectic. We have organised chaos and the only tip I can give you is that when they get older give them chores to help clean their mess up. It is hard having toddlers and a baby at any time so the fact that you have more than one toddler/pre schooler around just means that it is a little more stressful.

Plenty of wine helps and remember the house doesn't have to be a show home as long as your DCs are having fun, polite and happy a little mess never hurt anyone (this took me a long time to learn as I am a clean freak)

Hope all goes well

threecurrantbuns Wed 17-Aug-11 21:23:51

Thanks the mess part is great advice I have found that part hard too but trying to change, I have phases where I am completely chilled about the mess and think it doesn't matter. Then have a day where is drive me insane and I stoop around saying, 'what is with this house there is stuff everywhere every room is a tip etc' but its a small thing in the grand scale of things. Dh is a bit of a clean freak good in a way as he does a lot around the house bloody annoying when he is moaning about mess.

I'm expecting the first year to be tough with dc3 and 3 smalls at home I found it almost impossible to clean just the bare essentials and washing and that want easy.

Can't wait though feel no4 will complete our family

whenIgetto3 Wed 17-Aug-11 21:35:20

no 4 completed ours although she is currently going through the I start school in 2 weeks time am now a big girl and can do whatever I want phase. The occasional rant at them all is also a good stress reliever in our house. I complain bitterly about the mess, tell them all off, they then tidy up, I feel better and they all get a smiley on their reward charts (and yes even at 10 years old a smiley face reward chart works)grin

It is mad but I wouldn't change it for the world.

Fresh01 Sun 21-Aug-11 20:49:05

Congratulations! Can't offer any advice as currently 22 weeks pregnant with no. 4, DC1 will be 6 a month after DC4 is due. All I have worked out so far is I am going to need to fill the freezer with meals to get me through January : ) And that I need to be very organised for x-mas as this one is due 2 days before.......

I too have mainly heard positive stories of the dynamics of having 4 kids apart from the very busy part.

bigbuttons Sun 21-Aug-11 20:56:08

I have 6. With 8 years between them.
Dc1was just 5 when dc4 was born. I also found the hardest jump was from three to four dc's.
Now dc1 has just turned 13 and dc6 is 4 I am finding it even harder than when they were all littleconfused

switchtvoffdosomelessboring Mon 22-Aug-11 16:19:26

I had 4 under six for a while, Mine are 7,5 and twins aged 2. My oldest just turned five when the twins were born.

I've survived. Its difficult to say what the hardest stage was. Someone told me the hardest stage is the one you are at! They are all great company for each other now, the older ones are very caring. I do feel that they are all very short changed in terms on one to one with a parent, but I hope that the fact the always have siblings to fight or play with makes up for the fact.

fourunderfive Tue 06-Sep-11 00:02:54

Congratulations!

We had four under four for nearly a year. Hardest part was going from no children to some children - after that the adaptations seem relatively small!

oooggs Fri 09-Sep-11 19:27:53

When dc4 was born ds1 was 5.1 & dts were 21 mths and we have survived just!!

they are now 7.9, 4.5, 4.5 & 2.7 and things are getting easier now dts have started school

BastardDog Fri 09-Sep-11 19:36:39

My mum had four under 5. Me, then year younger twins, then another baby. She survived! Is now enjoying her retirement, loves us all and we are all close. The only downside has been that she feels she OD'd on kids and now has no interest in babysitting or spending time with her grandchildren.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now