Talk

Advanced search

food bills on holiday with extended family

(2 Posts)
friendly Sat 16-Jul-11 20:53:10

We are going on holiday for a week with my mum and my brother and sister and their families. My brother and sister have two children each and we have six. How do/ would other families do the food shop, sort out the bill when there are more of us? We will want to eat together but I don't want there to be any hard feelings created over the money/ food question. My sister and I have said as much but we haven't really thrashed out a solution. My db-in-law is used to not worrying too much about money whereas we have to really count the pennies. I'd be interested to hear any thoughts. Thank you !

Haribojoe Sat 16-Jul-11 22:18:34

We've done a few holidays with several families together in the same house/villa.

We tend to do a "communal" shop for the basics and split this between us.

Then anything special/treats that people want they buy themselves. we tend to have a shelf per family in one particular cupboard and the rule is if it's in that cupboard it's not for general consumption.

Whatever you decide to do I think the key is to have agreed what you all intend to do before you go and stick to it.

HTH, enjoy your holiday smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now