Talk

Advanced search

4DCs how big is your house?

(35 Posts)
FringeMonkey Sun 10-Jul-11 00:56:25

If you have 4 DCs, do you live in an enormous house with loads of bedrooms?

Does anyone have 4 and live in a 3 bed semi? Is it manageable or hell? What about as they get bigger?

Thanks smile

madhattershouse Sun 10-Jul-11 01:03:20

I have 4 dc's. We live at the moment in a 3 bed semi. The 3rd bedroom is tiny so my eldest has that to himself..the younger 3 (1 boy, 6, and his sisters, 6 and 4) share a double bedroom. It was better when they were younger but the 6yo twins now are so different and the 4yo wants to do her thing too that sharing 1 bedroom between 3 is already difficult! Getting ready for bed/school is the worst..they start to argue and then 1 will stop the other getting in the room..nightmare! Hope to move to a 4 bed as it's not ideal anymore wit the 3 of them sharing and he can't share with his brother as the room is tiny and his brother is becoming a teen!

threecurrantbuns Sun 10-Jul-11 13:32:14

Don't have four yet but planning to ttc a fourths soon our are 5 3 and 1 atm the eldest two both girls share a room ds is in the smallest room and we have just finished an extension so have added a fourths bed and a playroom downstairs. We plan to keep the girls together for as long as possible then if we have a fourths view will share too leaving a spare room. We were unsure whether to have a fourth as the plan was to extend so they all had their own rooms when teens but we just really would love a fourth so are still going for it I'm sure we will adapt and if needed later we will have a garage conversion or change playroom into a bedroom x

threecurrantbuns Sun 10-Jul-11 13:33:42

They will share too!..predictive text!

5GoMadOnAZ650 Sun 10-Jul-11 13:44:47

We recently moved from a 3 bed semi to a 4 bed semi with our 4 dd's (9,6,3,2) if this house hadn't been built (same street and local H.A scheme) we wouldn't have even considered moving but as it was available we applied and got it.

Our third bedroom was very small so we couldn't fit 2 single beds in it or any other furniture, but if we hadn't have had the option of moving we would have converted to bunks beds for dd3 & dd4 and made do.

buttonmoon78 Mon 11-Jul-11 11:42:24

4 bed terrace - DD1 has a double bed, DD2 has a tiny room with cabin bed, DS has good size room with bunks and dc4 (apparently a boy) will share with him. Will work beautifully - I hope!

Madlizzy Mon 11-Jul-11 11:44:06

I live in a 4 bed semi. DS1 has his own room, which is quite small, same with DD and DS2 & 3 share.

HarrietJones Mon 11-Jul-11 11:44:58

We have 3 dc & 3 beds , we are considering dc4 but could be difficult if they were a boy as we'd have two teenager girls, toddler dd3 + baby.

Lollyheart Mon 11-Jul-11 11:49:19

Have 3 dcs at the mo dc4 due in sept, have a 3 bed, two large double rooms and a nice size single.

Dd6 has the single room and my 2 dss 4 and 2 share a room.
If this one is a girl they will have our room, thankfully our kingsize bed fits in the single room, if a boy it will share with the boys. smile

notso Mon 11-Jul-11 12:08:47

If we go for number 4 and I get pg straight away we will have minimum ages DD 12, DS 7, DS 1 and DC4 in a 4 bedroom house, would be fine if DC4 was another DS but if DC4 was a DD I don't know what we would do long term.
DD has a massive room which I doubt she would give up readily and I don't know if it would be fair for DS1 and DS2 to have to share.
DH and I have a big attic room but I wouldn't really want to have any DC up there(am paranoid about fire).

3kidsnobump Mon 11-Jul-11 16:12:05

We are (hopefully) about 4 weeks away from having DC4 and live in a 4 bed. So currently all the kids have their own rooms, and haven't at this point worked out who will share with who.

Am planning on keeping the baby in with us and then winging it... other 3 are currently DD - 5, DS1 - 4 and DS2 - 1 tomorrow! Am possibly thinking of oldest 2 sharing for a bit until they are all a bit older, and then maybe swapping them around depending on the sex of the new baby!

feckwit Mon 11-Jul-11 16:14:14

We have a 3 bed, have converted a downstairs utility in to a small bedroom though so the girls have their own rooms and the boys share.

misspollysdolly Mon 11-Jul-11 22:37:14

I am pregnant with number 4 - due in early October. Currently have DD (11), DS1 (6), DS2 (3) and live in a three bed terrace with no hope of extending... We have the converted loft room. DD has the smaller of the two original bedrooms (a small double) and the two boys share the large master bedroom. Number four is a girl which does complicated things somewhat but I do not want DD1 having to share with DD2 who will be 12 years younger than her! That doesn;t seem fair on either party really. So baby will share with the boys - which will be fine while they are all little. By the time things get 'sticky' DD1 may be looking at Uni, or we will sleep on a sofa bed downstairs. Failing that, by then we might be able to move. At times like this, I think about my Grandma who had 8 brothers and sisters and lived in a two-up, two-down terrace in East London...

redfoxy Tue 12-Jul-11 21:35:19

We've got 4, and live in a 3 bed terrace. It's quite small, it's quite cramped... I wish we could have something bigger but that's not going to happen in the foreseeable future. Two boys, age 14 and 9 share a box room with bunks, two girls age 6 and 12 share another room. Privacy in this house is an alien concept, and yes, I have been lectured by an elderly lady who said she lived with her 9 brothers and sisters in a one room cottage on Shetland, so I didn't have a right to complain. grrrr.
The older two are usually out doing things, football practice, horse riding, etc or just out with friends, and I've trained them up pretty well with regards to self reliance so they are vaguely aware that there is no magical fairy that does washing up or laundry, and they can both cook for themselves if need be. They do often need reminding about the fairy though...

ilove Tue 12-Jul-11 21:40:56

4 dc, 6 beds 5 baths

thereisalightanditnevergoesout Thu 28-Jul-11 22:57:33

We have 4 DCs and 3 bedrooms. Though soon, we are extending slightly but will only end up with 4 bedrooms confused.

Danthe4th Thu 28-Jul-11 23:06:29

We have 4 in a tiny 3 bed, ages dd16 and dd 14 share a double room, ds 9 and ds 6 have bunks in a tiny room. We have 1 bathroom, a kitchen diner and a front room. No garage.
Its a squeeze which is fine in the summer but in the winter it can get a bit much.
We have to have a time slot for the bathroom in the morning and we all have to be considerate of the others, not always possible!!!
We manage but its not great, I quite often go and sit on my bed just for a bit of privacy, the girls are doing A levels and gcse's this year and they have to study in their bedroom together which they get fed up with.

Zimm Fri 29-Jul-11 10:08:10

5 baths! ilove Wow. So many toilets to clean.

ragged Fri 29-Jul-11 10:16:24

I have friends with 6 kids in a 3 bed semi.
I have 4 DC & live in a 4 bed detached with big extension.
Doesn't matter how big the house is, they all crowd into the same 3m square with you at every opportunity, anyway. wink

Insanitybecomesme Fri 29-Jul-11 10:17:19

I have 6 in a 4 bed semi, ds 1&2 share then dd1&ds3 share and then my twins dd2&ds4 share, after christmas when the twins are out of cots we will swap ds3 and dd2 round. We only have one bathroom which is the biggest problem, living space otherwise is fine.

AngryBeaver Fri 29-Jul-11 22:35:50

ilove...okaaay,nobody asked about how many bathrooms you had!!!But we get it <speaks slowly> you. are. weaaalthy! grin

fidelma Sun 31-Jul-11 22:23:30

4dc 7beds 4 baths

queenmaeve Sun 31-Jul-11 23:44:59

I have 5 dc. Our house has four actual bedrooms but lots of other space too. It does make things easier in that storage etc isnt an issue but as someone has already said, lots more to clean grin

sweetkitty Sat 06-Aug-11 22:07:13

We have 4DC and in a tiny 3 bed although it does have 3 bathrooms.

DD1 (7) and DD3 (3) share a smallish double with bunks and DD2 (5) has the box room, the box room is tiny think toddler bed and chest of drawers. DS is in the cramped master bedroom with us.

There is no garage and no cupboard space, it's driving me insane just now, I feel the walls are creeping in on us, we do have planning permission for a extension that will give us 5 bedrooms and a playroom plus utility room but need to sell another house to fund it which isn't selling. So we are stuck like this for the forseeable.

We are thinking of DH and I moving into the box room somehow and DD2 and DS sharing, DD2 is a tomboy and has a boysroom and DD1 and 3 are really girly.

Cathycat Sat 06-Aug-11 22:24:07

We have four in a 3 bed house. My daughter has the small room and the three boys share the large room. I could do with an extra room for my eldest son, so that only two boys could share. However ... we won't get this for a few years and that is life! I have gone through various scenarios in my head but all cost too much or would inconvenience us further, despite both dh and I working as much as poss. And our children are very close and sharing. I do not let any member of the family say that a sibling cannot come into their room and this is accepted!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now