Talk

Advanced search

Anyone got boy, then girl, then boy? How do you find it?

(17 Posts)
boygirlboymum Thu 30-Jun-11 14:16:33

I'm due with DC3 in November and found out that I'm having a boy. So I will have DS, DD, DS2. I'm really pleased to be having another boy but I think I expected it to be a girl as I don't know many families with boy, girl, boy, then definitely NO MORE!! My dd is happy to be having a little brother but I'm interested how this pattern works out for other families. DS will be 5 and DD nearly 4 when DS2 is born.

slipperandpjsmum Thu 30-Jun-11 16:16:15

I had boy, boy, girl, boy - does that count?

I am interested when you said you don't know many families with boy, girl, boy. Who are their families made up of?

oooggs Thu 30-Jun-11 16:23:45

I have boy (ds1) then girl/boy twins (dd & ds2) then boy (ds3)

ds1 was just 5 when ds3 was born

WhatsWrongWithYou Thu 30-Jun-11 16:39:37

DS1 was nearly 6 and DD was 31/2 when DS2 was born. Worked out fine - DS2 has had the best deal as he had a playmate when he was little and now he's 10 he has a cool 16yo brother to be duffed up by play x-box with!

FoundWanting Thu 30-Jun-11 16:46:40

We've got boy - girl - boy too. DS1 was 5 1/2 and DD was just 3 when DS2 was born.

IME it is the perfect set-up. grin For DD, being the only girl seems to over-ride some of the 'middle child' issues of not having a special position/role; competing with siblings.

boygirlboymum Thu 30-Jun-11 17:33:57

slippersandpj's I mean I don't many at all with the particular BGB pattern. Yes I would say your combo is what I meant too. I think you mostly see boy, boy, girl or boy, girl, girl or three of the same or I know a few girl, boy, girl families. Lots of 3 children families around here and merely an observation I have made smile.

Interesting what you say FoundWanting. Someone else has said to me that having an only, middle girl will overide the middle child syndrome thing quite a lot. Another friend has said that I will have to watch my DD as she was the girl in the middle and was bullied by her brothers. However she blames her parents, and as I am a bit of a stickler for fairness and knowing their personalities, I can't see that happening.

Oh it's interesting to hear your experiences and age gaps. Any others very welcome. smile

OwlMother Thu 30-Jun-11 17:39:58

I totally agree with FoundWanting - we have boy, girl, boy and the middle child thing is totally neutralised because she is the only girl.

lcj68 Sun 03-Jul-11 13:19:35

we have boy, girl, boy here and my DD is the peacekeeper. She gets on with both boys. There is 6yrs between the boys 15 and 9 and whilst they will play on the xbox together, they are very competetive with each other and DS1 can be mean to DS2 as he's not yet as good a swimmer/triathlete/runner as his brother, but note everything DS1 does DS2 wants to do!! DD has never felt left out as she's the only girl so her interests lie elsewhere.

harrygracejessica Mon 04-Jul-11 20:47:04

I have boy then girl twins then boy twins.

ln1981 Mon 04-Jul-11 22:55:09

i have boy (7), girl (5), boy (3), and i quite like the wee dynamic they have. DD is pretty much the glue that holds them all together. She is very close to both her brothers, whereas I find ds1 and ds2 have a bit of a love/hate thing going on. dd can often convince ds1 that actually, annoying little brother is ok sometimes to play with, though perhaps not when he breaks up your lego!
I think dd quite likes being the only wee girl in the house, as it means she is daddy's princess. smile

Jux Mon 04-Jul-11 23:21:15

I had two bros and was in the middle. I wasn't bullied by them, quite the opposite. We were 18m apart and 22m apart, so pretty close. We were all encouraged to be responsible for each other, particularly my elder bro to look after me and younger bro, and I to look after little bro, iyswim.

I don't quite know how my parents managed to inculcate the sense of responsibility, togetherness and love we shared, but though we all live very separate lives we are still very very close, and will ride in on white chargers for each other at the drop of a hat. Until I moved to Devon, we still got together every week for Sunday lunch at The Parent's place, just because we enjoyed being together. Very secure and lovely.

DandyDan Tue 05-Jul-11 09:32:24

We found it worked very well, and then ended up with Boy Girl Boy Girl, all pretty close in age, which works even better, although we don't know anyone with this combination either.

timetosmile Wed 13-Jul-11 00:54:03

we have B,G,B at 10,8,3.
I think dd in the middle does have less 'middle child' issues as she is 'special' for being the only girl, so has that identity within the family.
However, whereas she and DS1 were inseperable for years and years, DS2 is now big enough to play proper 'boy' stuff, and of course DS1 just loves the hero-worship he gets, and DD feeling a bit pushed out by the boys at present...but these things come and go so in six months it will probably have all changed again!

boygirlboymum Wed 13-Jul-11 19:54:28

Thanks for your replies everyone. The BGB mix xounds very positive on the whole. I am an only child myself so you can imagine what a difference this will be for me. I love watching my other two interact, play, be horrible to each other etc!! Am very excited to meet DS2 and see how this alters the family dynamic again.

Daisypod Tue 27-Sep-11 22:27:44

Well we have girl, boy, girl, boy. I couldn't believe we had such a mix! We find the dynamic works really nicely most of the time although youngest is only 15 weeks but DS1 cannot wait for him. to be old enough to play with

mountaingirl Mon 10-Oct-11 21:02:41

I have BGB. Ds1 was 5y9mth dd was 2y4mth when ds2 was born. Ds1 now 17, dd13 and ds2 11. Dd & ds2 have a lovely relationship when they are together and now ds2 goes to senior school with his big sister things seem to be going ok. Unfortunately when ds1 is around dd gets picked on by them both.

NK346f2849X127d8bca260 Wed 12-Oct-11 10:51:30

We have boy,girl,boy,boy,boy,and finally another girl!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now