Talk

Advanced search

coping with multiple illnesses

(6 Posts)
tortoisefairy Sun 12-Dec-10 17:48:15

Hi please, please help me.

Ds1 - 4 - chest infection and on anti-biotics as of today. DS2- 2.5 horrendous cold/cough, temperature really clingy. DS3 - 4 months - bad cold/cough not too bad in himself.

Please can you give me your top tips for coping with illness as this is the first time I have had to cope with them all ill together. I have been doing 24 hour care between the eldest two since wednesday adn I am shattered. Keep thinking they will be a bit better tomorow but they are not. Only have time to wash all clothes and bedding covered in sick (due to extreme coughing of DS1 and DS3). Just have never experienced motherhood this hard. Has made me think I could never have more. Do they all get ill often? or is this a freak incident?

I am really down, perhaps as was due this weekend to go away with dh for the first time in 18 months. Perhaps I am just knackered!
thanks

LongStory Sun 12-Dec-10 19:50:42

That sounds really tough - sending lots of love your way. I have faced similar in the past but your situation does sound extreme and hopefully won't recur. I find that a black sense of humour and an occasional sherry definitely helps. At the moment I have an ill 8yo daughter and she's so easy to look after, so it does get easier as they grow. Just hoping she doesn't pass it to the other 4 !!!

LongStory Sun 12-Dec-10 19:51:24

And so sorry that your weekend away got pulled, I would be fuming.

HereMeRoar Sun 12-Dec-10 20:26:55

It does happen. It's happened to us twice now and once it was vomiting <vision of hell>. Somehow you just keep going. People claim it gets easier as they get older smile.

buttonmoon78 Mon 13-Dec-10 12:25:15

Mine are often ill in tandem (or whatever the word would be for three in a row) rather than all at the same time so it makes it easier but a huge long slog.

I do remember one particularly bad stomach bug where they were all sick at once. They are usually v good at getting to the loo, being sick and then yelling for me but this time it was so violent they had no chance. And it was coming out both ends...

In the end I had them sleeping on the sheets I use as dust sheets when I'm painting as I couldn't keep up with the washing!

I hope they get better soon and that you get your weekend another time. The way I look at it is that if they're really poorly now, their immune system should be high for Christmas!

welshandproud Mon 13-Dec-10 13:03:01

Write down all medication,name of child, time and dose as it is really easy to get confused in the middle of the night or for DP to give some and you others.

I have all 4 of mine ill with coughs and colds at the moment and eldest is on painkillers for a broken thumb. We should take out shares in Calpol and Neurophen as we're getting through a large bottle of each every week! I'm ill too but nobody seems to have noticed that!

Fingers crossed you'll all be feeling better for christmas! smile and you can reschedule your romantic getaway!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: