Talk

Advanced search

Read this for a laugh if you're part of a bilingual family.

(20 Posts)
Romanarama Thu 18-Feb-10 11:19:33

this reminded me of so many mystifying moments in our family. Very funny grin

UptoapointLordCopper Thu 18-Feb-10 13:50:20

grin

We have some mystifying moments too, some deliberate, some not ...

Maveta Mon 22-Feb-10 20:19:32

grin like it.. the ´what the fuck are you saying? face´ is often seen around this house too..

RacingSnake Sun 28-Feb-10 21:12:59

My dh once stood by while I explained to our hotelier in tghe Camargue that we were soaking wet because "there was a terrible grandfather clock and we were attacked by musketeers ..." and likes to repeat to his family the time I pointed to a speck flying overhead and called out, "Look ... a grocer!!"

glacierchick Mon 17-May-10 16:33:11

Racingsnake LOL grin

I recently complained to a colleague I couldn't find "east" in the fridge.
I meant cheese (øst vs. ost...)

RacingSnake Tue 18-May-10 21:04:01

Lost in the fridge ... hmm

Geocentric Wed 19-May-10 21:58:19

I grew up in Brazil with a pack of other Anglo brats; we used to have fun doing literal translations of Brazilian expressions to English and vice-versa, and ended up with a bizzare lingo of our own which not even our parents could decifer. grin Good days!!!

milanomum Fri 04-Jun-10 13:58:37

LOL!
After 3 years of marriage I've only recently realised that my husband understands about 75% of what I say in Italian.
His 'what the fuck are you saying?' face is the same as his 'I'm not interested' face, so it's taken a while.

BlauerEngel Fri 04-Jun-10 14:47:31

The German words for earthquake and strawberry are remarkably similar, so I once claimed that Los Angeles was largely destroyed in 1906 by a giant strawberry.

Similarly the word for clone (as in Dolly the sheep) is awfully close to a dialect word for chat, and I ended up saying that chatting was banned in many countries and the subject of ethical debates.

MummyAbroad Sun 03-Oct-10 02:53:50

My 2.4 year old has started "blending" English and Spanish words, so "boot" or "bota" becomes "boota" smile

Shame that when he shouts it at street cleaners wearing wellies like his they think he is shouting "puta!" (= "whore!") blush

MmeLindt Tue 05-Oct-10 13:42:57

Love that.

I once confused Insel (island) with Esel (donkey), when talking about landing airplanes on small islands and it being rather scary.

FingonTheValiant Tue 05-Oct-10 14:26:38

I told dh last night that the top of my baby bump was suddenly "all damp", I meant soft. He gave me a classic wtf? face.

Mind you, I gave him one when he told me he'd seen the police "sizing" football fans

FingonTheValiant Tue 05-Oct-10 14:30:15

Seeing as I gave both examples in English:

I said "tout mouillé" instead of "tout mou"

He did say "sizing" instead of "seizing".

hupa Tue 05-Oct-10 14:46:02

I once confused Pimmel(willy/penis) with Pickel (spot) when talking about a spot on my face. Cue the people I was with being unable to talk through tears of laughter and me being totally bemused until my mistake was explained.

Swazzee Tue 19-Oct-10 11:51:32

I'll never forget the time DH came home from Sainsburys mortified because he couldn't work out why he'd made the shop assistant keel over laughing when he asked her where the 'poof pastry' was. It didn't help that I tried to explain his pronunciation mistake through tears of laughter myself.

Love the story in the OP - that had me chuckling grin

1Catherine1 Sat 30-Oct-10 01:52:41

That link worked for a second then redirected me to the homepage. I searched through the site and found a new link for the same article

That made me laugh so much I was crying. Me and my OH have had some worrying moments ourselves.. I'm saving that for when he gets home. He'll love it.

HopeForTheBestExpectTheWorst Sun 28-Nov-10 09:31:52

Another common one here used to be mixing up the German words for slow (^langsam^) and boring ("langweilig"). Many a time we used to request that people please speak more boringly

Oh, and the dreaded schwül (humid, muggy) and schwul (gay).
On some days, I don't really trust myself to discuss the weather!

AND, just remembered this-: vögel (birds) and vögeln (to fuck) - why would any language think that could possibly be a good idea????

As you can imagine, I wouldn't dream of talking about birds in humid weather....

oricella Sun 28-Nov-10 09:43:53

My lovely dad recently found a Dutch expression that really doesn't translate well into english, announcing that my lovely 2 year old was acting just like a cat and 'giving heads' .... (the Dutch expression 'kopjes geven' describes the way cats nudge you with their head)

That one had me under the table... (and blush at having to try and explain to him why!)

belgo Sun 28-Nov-10 09:52:01

grin at giving head

lightfairy Wed 22-Dec-10 15:18:56

W had a brilliant example. When our lodger moved in on her birthday we had dinner together to celebrate. We were discussing presents when my husband said "did you get any sex for your birthday" she blushed an said no. i looked at him with my wtf face.
He then continued to fill the opressing silence with "I always get sex for my birthday" at which point i spat out my food.
After a couple of moment the fog cleared and it dawned on me that he was talking about socks!
It wasn't lost in translation, it was dodgy vowel sounds.

The worst one for vowel sounds is can't. some one who has an accent shouldn't just say you can't.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: