Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

what language now?

(9 Posts)
sasa15 Fri 24-Jun-05 22:06:43

dh is english and speak english to ds that is 11 months...I use to speak in Italian when we were in uk.
we now moved back to Italy, he will start nursery and everyone speak italian to him...

Shall I switch to speak english to him...

is he going to be confuse...????

Or stick with Italian...

Chickyboo Fri 24-Jun-05 22:30:00

I speak to dd in english but dd is looked after by italian relatives they speak to her in dialect
and dh speaks italian or english.

I want to move to Italy dh pretends to be keen.

Anyway i keep thinking my dd will speak english and italian with Naples dialect

Janh Fri 24-Jun-05 22:36:19

Let DH speak English to him and you speak Italian, sasa. DS will work it out, young kids are incredibly perceptive about language, as long as DH is around a couple of hours a day and at weekends he will understand it.

chipmonkey Fri 24-Jun-05 23:07:46

Agree with JanH, give your ds the opportunity to speak both languages.

sasa15 Sat 25-Jun-05 22:04:14

dh doesn't spend much time with ds,
that's why I'm worried that he doesn't get much english anymore now that we are in Italy....

Fran1 Sat 25-Jun-05 22:32:14

I'd recommend one language for the home, one for outside environment.

So if you're in Italy, speak English in the home, and when you are out and about speak Italian.

This will ensure he gets an even dose of each language, and it makes it straight forward for when he starts talking what to speak where. Of course, bilingual children will mix there sentences anyway initially and thats fine and to be expected.

(btw i'm not bilingual myself, but i studied bilingual families for a dissertation)

HTH!

sasa15 Sun 26-Jun-05 13:00:25

great! thank you for advise...

is it ok to switch to a different language now...?

I always speak italian...at home..

chipmonkey Mon 27-Jun-05 11:13:38

My Dad spoke Irish in the home and English outside. Until he started school and had to speak English all the time he thought adults just talked rubbish to each other on the street!

bambi06 Mon 27-Jun-05 11:23:59

my dh speaks only hebrew to my two and i speak english , they speak english only but understand everything in both languages but dd can speak it better...thats girls for you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now