Talk

Advanced search

Any trilingual families?

(10 Posts)
igusia Sun 11-Oct-09 16:27:08

Hello all! have 3 languages operating at home:English,Polish, Greek.Any families in similar situation?love,i

RacingSnake Sun 11-Oct-09 22:31:19

We were hoping to do English, French and German, but are not really managing to fit in the German. DD (3) has only learnt a few words and thinks it is very funny to pronounce them wrongly. I am English, DH is French and my mother who lives with us is German but has lived in the UK for 50 years and is more comfotable speaking Engish. DD thinks it's hilarious to say 'Bis bag' instead of 'Bis bald' or 'Guten morning' instead of 'Guten Morgen'. Defending herself from overload, perhaps?

Thissideofchannel Mon 12-Oct-09 07:55:18

I have a good friend who is German, married to a Swedish dh, and their 2 girls go to school in England. Both parents speak to them in their respective mother tongue and they seem to be managing very well. As Swedish gets the smallest share (due to father working), they spend a lot of time in Sweden in the summer.

I think the key is to get enough exposure of all the languages, either through a parent, relative, dvds, holidays in the country etc, but it clearly can be done! Good luck!

Sakura Mon 12-Oct-09 07:56:10

Japanese, English and Welsh here. I`m failing with the WElsh so far and have put it aside to concentrate on the English, which I am very worried about. But I hope to engage her in Welsh again in the future when her English is properly established. ITs sad but true that English is far more important.

Romanarama Mon 12-Oct-09 08:15:59

We have English and Italian at home and French at school. 2 dcs are fine, one struggles a little bit more (speaks all of the languages in the appropriate situations, but makes more errors). We have a very international group of friends because of our jobs, and it's great because the dcs practically always have at least one language in common.

MmeGoblindt Mon 12-Oct-09 08:24:13

we are English/German speakers (me Scottish, DH German) living in French speaking Switzerland so the DCare on their way to trilimgualism.

sorry about typing, wet nails.

I am learning french but they don't speak French much at home

mamaloco Mon 12-Oct-09 13:18:15

Hi,
We are french (me), english/swedish (DH) and DD speack romanian at school now. DD 4.5, started with more french as a maternal language, then dropped it when starting playschool in english, a year after moving to romania she is now fluent in romanian. I would say english/romanian are her main languages, french is sidetracked, she understand but do not speack very well (holidays and playing with french children helps, and it is improving). Swedish got lost (bed time stories in swedish were not enough to get her through).

Victoria67 Sat 17-Oct-09 00:42:50

Hi, We are Franco/Russian family, speaking mainly French at home. However I'm speaking Russian to my baby...as a result my husbund is learning Russian too

June2009 Sun 18-Oct-09 10:47:02

hey, we're french (me) and english/greek (dh).
I speak only french to dd (4 months), dh talks to her in english. dh and I talk english to eachother.
dh's dad talks to her only in greek.
We have family both in cyprus and in france.
We also live in a mainly greek area of london where greek, even if not spoken, is understood by the youngest.

cakeslover Fri 23-Oct-09 20:44:41

hello
I'm brazilian (from italian parents, so a bilingual since always) and my DH's italian. My 18 months DD's been raised in both languages at home plus english at nursery. So far she's been using 3 languages when trying to communicate, big mix. Heard that's normal and with time she'll be able to understand wich one to use depending on the situation..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now