Talk

Advanced search

Could you help me with the words to a german childrens song ?

(11 Posts)
CMOTdibbler Mon 17-Aug-09 15:21:47

One of the nursery nurses at DS's nursery is german and sings a song with him that he calls Hoppe Heiten (I can't be sure on spelling). It is apparently about riding a horse. I'd ask Gise the words, but she does the middle of the day, so I don't see her very often

DS is not happy that I can't sing it, and I promised I'd try and find the words

I've tried Googling and failed, so any help would be much appreciated

frogs Mon 17-Aug-09 15:35:10

Almost certainly this one.

It's a bit like This is the Way the Ladies Ride -- you jiggle the child on your knees and at the last line drop them down.

CMOTdibbler Mon 17-Aug-09 15:39:05

The dropping down at the end is right, but the one you linked to doesn't seem long enough - the one time I saw Gise singing it, it went on for several minutes.

I'll give it a try with DS later - he'll let me know if I'm not right !

Thank you !

minitrip Mon 17-Aug-09 15:50:27

It's frustrating when they know a song that you don't! My ds was singing 'i love you, you love me' and wanted me to join in. i googled it and discovered that it is the rather horrible Barney the Dinosaur song, which was - apparently - used as a form of torture on Iraqi prisoners. I can see why it would work as torture... Good luck with Hoppe Helten'!

nickelbabe Mon 17-Aug-09 15:55:40

i love the way at the end of the clip she says "naturally hold the child tightly!"
grin
it's like the billy goats gruff sing, isn't it!

stickylittlefingers Mon 17-Aug-09 16:04:45

this page gives a translation and the link to Rammstein. Scary stuff!!

frogs Mon 17-Aug-09 16:08:52

Yy, there are additional verses which aren't in my link. Also an optional one along the lines of "Fällt er in das grüne Gras, macht er sich die Hosen nass" (if he falls in the green grass he will wet his pants -- cue much kiddie hysteria.

I'd put money on it being some version of Hoppe Hoppe Reiter, it's probably the best-known Gm children's song.

WidowWadman Mon 17-Aug-09 16:16:32

There are some more verses to it, but when I was a kid we never sang them.

german.about.com/library/blhopp.htm

CMOTdibbler Mon 17-Aug-09 16:57:21

Fabulous ! Thank you all so much

chrissi1 Thu 20-Aug-09 21:35:14

Hi
The most popular verse is.

Hoppe Hoppe Reiter wenn er faellt dann schreit er,faellt er in den Graben fressen ihn die Raben ,faellt er in den sumpf, macht der Reiter Plumps

jessia Mon 24-Aug-09 12:52:21

A bit off topic, but I've just discovered a wonderful website with children's songs from all around the world, called Mama Lisa's World (am not even going to attempt to do a link, but put that in Google and it will definitely come up). My two have just started requesting songs in German and I am ashamed to say that though I did German at university, I could only think of one song to sing them...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now