Talk

Advanced search

Any German speakers with books to sell?

(14 Posts)
roisin Thu 16-Jul-09 18:39:13

ds1 (12) is learning German and loving it. I bought some books from Amazon.de on the advice of his teacher on 'immersion' techniques. He's flicking through Drachenzähmen leicht gemacht, but Per Anhalter durch die Galaxis and Drachenreiter are - as I expected - far too demanding for him at the moment. But he is absolutely adoring reading Der Grüffelo!

I was just wondering whether there are any German speakers who have any young children's books they would to sell on, at a cheaper price than it would cost on Amazon.de

Thank you

frogs Thu 16-Jul-09 18:44:04

Oh, roisin, totally non-book related, but check out this:

http://www.ukgermanconnection.org/cms/?location_id=173

Dd1 is going to apply for next year's round. Bookmark for future reference, I reckon.

German books -- tricky to find ones with the right level of interest, ime. I haven't really found anything that works for dd1, and we have quite a lot to choose from. (she's done 2 years of German). We do have some kids picture books, but none that we can part with.

DVDs are the way to go, i think, esp with English subtitles.

frogs Thu 16-Jul-09 18:47:03

You could try extending your search here:

http://www.deutsche-in-london.net/forum/

Aimed at people in London, but might extend further.

Dd1 also recommends:

http://www.tivi.de/

smile

frogs Thu 16-Jul-09 18:47:44

sorry about absence of proper links btw.

roisin Thu 16-Jul-09 19:04:33

That exchange thing looks great frogs!

I do have some friends/contacts in Germany and was hoping to set something up later on. What age do you think is best to do an exchange? I think I went first in the summer of yr9 to France then later to Germany a few times. The problem is in this country so many students have dropped the languages before the summer of yr9 anyway.

Ds1 has only actually done 1 term of German - autumn term (then did Spanish/French), but he's continued going to "german club" and I've chatted to him a bit at home. His teacher thinks he's wonderful hmm

roisin Thu 16-Jul-09 19:08:12

I remember reading Hitchhiker's guide in Berlin about 25 years ago. In German it is simply the funniest book ever. Dh is getting extremely annoyed with me reading it and laughing out loud, because it is simply not possible to explain why it is so much funnier in translation.

Yurtgirl Thu 16-Jul-09 19:08:39

roisin - I am grieved!
I had 4/5 german kids books that your ds might have liked - about a year ago I started a thread on mn hoping to pass them on.... zero interest

They ended up in a charity shop!

roisin Thu 16-Jul-09 19:10:38

oh no, don't tell me that sad sad sad

annasmami Thu 16-Jul-09 19:46:02

Have a look at your local library. I was recently searching their online catalogue for Enid Blyton and Astrid Lindren books (in English) and was pleasantly surprised to find about 5-6 of them in German language.

The other place where I buy second German books for our kids is the 'Flomarkt' at the German school once a year. Don't know where you are but if you're near London then that might be an option.

Lastly, have a look on ebay. German childrens' books come up quite often.

roisin Thu 16-Jul-09 19:59:23

Oh will try Ebay, that's a good idea.
We're nowhere near London, unfortunately. I'll have a look at the online library catalogue, but I'm not holding my breath tbh.

Yurtgirl Thu 16-Jul-09 20:00:27

Im too! I did ask..........

frogs Thu 16-Jul-09 20:01:17

Y9 is a good time for an exchange. Or any time when they have had enough language experience to benefit from it.

MmeLindt Wed 22-Jul-09 15:53:44

I have a friend in Hamburg who might have books that would be interesting for your DS. The books that I have would probably bore your DS as my DC are much younger.

It is very difficult to find books that are simple enough for a non-native speaker to understand but interesting enough to keep them interested. One friend in Germany bought some books from Berlitz for her son to learn English, they were detective books and geared for the 10 - 14 year old market. Is there anything like that for learning German?

MmeLindt Wed 22-Jul-09 21:25:48

I asked my friend and she suggested the ??? books, Die Drei Fragezeichen, they are from age 8yo.

She would be happy to send you somethings, books or comics or thought that your DS might like a penpal in Germany, even if it were just a postcard now and then. Her son is almost 10yo, so a bit younger.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now